GO development

Pankaj Jaiswal pj37 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 24 10:59:35 PDT 2007

David Hill wrote:

> I am planning to create a term called 'cell differentiation involved in
> multicellular organism development', make this term a part_of child of
> 'multicellular organism development' and an is_a "cell differentiation"
> then place all the correct types of cell differentiation as is_a
> children of this term. It would solve part of the problem of not having
> gene products grouped correctly under 'multicellular organism
> development' but the part_of problem will still exist.
>
> I also think that if a gene product from a multicellular organism is
> annotated to one of the more generic development terms, it should be
> co-annotated to 'multicellular organism development'. We would need to
> discuss what evidence code this would get. I suspect it would be IC.

Sorry for jumping in on this topic. It seems that this arbitrary
distinction of uni/multicellular organism based processes can be made
automatically/judged by the associated/curated gene product's and the
species/taxon it belongs to. It should not be hard coded into the
ontology term names. We should have fairly generic terms and they would
work in majority of the cases.

Pankaj

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org