Autogenerating map2slim mapping files?

Twigger Simon simont at hmgc.mcw.edu
Wed Jan 3 13:46:30 PST 2007

Hi there,

Working with Larry Wall's definitions of Chief Virtues of a
Programmer, I'm exercising my 'Laziness' muscle here.

Via the GOC we generate daily OBO files and a whole bunch of 'Other
Useful Files' on the GO website so people can access the latest terms
and annotations. What I find Im also in need of quite frequently are
GO Slim versions of the annotations using the Generic GO Slim along
with the mapping of the current GO terms to their respective GO Slim
terms. Certainly it is possible to download and install the various
perl modules and run the map2slim script, etc. to derive these files
from the raw data but is there any merit to autogenerating these and
adding them to the 'other useful files' so people dont have to
install all the perl code to run this manually?

Speaking for myself, the mapping file would be spectacular to have
available so I could automatically FTP it over and crank through
current annotations to get the appropriate GO Slim versions. It might
get a bit unwieldy to run all annotation files against all standard
GO Slims on the site but if we could generate one mapping file for
each Maintained GO Slim that would just be four new files that anyone
could then use to convert GO annotations to their respective Slimmed
version.

Would anyone else find this useful or is it just me being lazy
(remembering that Laziness is a Virtue). :)

Simon.

--

Simon N. Twigger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org