[gofriends] Berkeley (GO et al.) is looking to hire

Suzanna Lewis suzi at berkeleybop.org
Wed May 2 16:50:41 PDT 2007

Hi all,

We're hiring. It's gone from bust to boom in the space of a few
months, and now we're scrambling to get 3 new people on board. I'm
really sorry about the multiple postings, but we're trying to get the
word out.

from all of us at Berkeley... Suzi Lewis, Chris Mungall, Seth Carbon,
John Day-Richter, Mark Gibson, Karen Eilbeck, & Nicole Washington

Software Developer positions in Berkeley: http://berkeleybop.org/
content/jobs/

The Berkeley Bioinformatics and Ontologies Project (BBOP, http://
berkeleybop.org), located at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
(LBNL), is seeking three software developers to craft tools for the
collection, annotation, and integration of biomedical data. The BBOP
is a founding member of the Gene Ontology Consortium, and a part of
the National Center for Biomedical Ontology. We have a long history
developing open source software and databases for Drosophila and
other model organisms, and are an original member of the Generic
Model Organism Database (GMOD) project. We are an extremely
collaborative team that is built upon the creative sharing of ideas
among bright individuals.

1. modENCODE
The applicant will work on an important new project, modENCODE, whose
aim is to discover and explore the genomes of C. elegans and D.
melanogaster , using new scientific strategies and new technologies
for discovery. It is a collaborative project with Cold Spring Harbor
Laboratory, Cambridge University, University of California Santa
Cruz. The applicant will be responsible for collecting and collating
experimental data from many different sources. [see http://
berkeleybop.org/content/jobs/modENCODE.shtml for more...]

2. NCBO/BIRN
The applicant will work on an important new collaboration between the
National Center for Biomedical Ontologies (NCBO) and the Biomedical
Informatics Research Network (BIRN). The BIRN, based at the
University of California San Diego, is an initiative within the
National Institutes of Health that fosters large-scale collaborations
in biomedical science by utilizing the capabilities of the emerging
cyberinfrastructure. BIRN is targeting advances in understanding the
genetics of human disease by identifying correlations between genetic
insults and neuropathological processes. The database mediation
software will support ontological query and retrieval of image
information based on phenotypic descriptions. Our role is to assist
in building the requisite data and knowledge stores, by building
ontology-directed graphs for query navigation. [see http://
berkeleybop.org/content/jobs/BIRN.shtml for more ...]

3. APOLLO
The applicant will work on an important software component of the
GMOD project: Apollo. Apollo allows researchers to explore genomic
annotations at many levels of detail, and to perform expert curation
of the genome, all within a graphical environment. Our role is to
support the global users of Apollo and to extend its capabilities in
numerous ways. The Apollo project is a joint collaboration between
LBNL and the Arabidopsis Information Resource (TAIR), located at
Stanford. [ see http://berkeleybop.org/content/jobs/Apollo.shtml for
more ...]

How to Apply
Applications and questions may be sent to Nicole Washington
nlwashington at lbl.gov with the project code in the subject line.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and contact information with
your application.

Problems with the list?           E-mail: owner-gofriends at geneontology.org
Subscribing   send   "subscribe"   to   gofriends-request at geneontology.org