[gofriends] GO tool recommendations needed for demo to ~80 biologists new to GO.

Peter Robinson peter.robinson at t-online.de
Fri Oct 5 11:40:37 PDT 2007

Hi Emily,

you might want to take a look at the Ontologizer:

http://www.charite.de/ch/medgen/ontologizer/

it is a Java Webstart application that does most of what you have
listed. Assuming the local machines have a Java runtime environment as
well as GraphViz installed, the Ontologizer performs statistical
analysis with the user's choice of the standard method, the
topology-based methods described by Alexa et al., as well as our new
parent-child analysis (the latter two methods cope in different ways
with some of the dependency problems resulting from the GO DAG
structure). The Ontologizer implements 6 different multiple-testing
correction procedures.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "clusterings of proteins around
a GO node" (do you mean a graphical representation of all proteins
annotated to nodes in the graph? That would get to be rather crowded!)
However, the Ontologizer does list all proteins/genes annotated to any
node of the graph that is clicked in the graphical representation or
table, so it is easy to tell which proteins are responsible for
significantly overrepresented terms.

Users are required to download the OBO files and gene association files.
While this may be a disadvantage for some, it does mean that everything
is as up to date as possible and that users can analyze any species for
which a gene association file is available. Another advantage is that
affymetrix annotation files can be used directly as gene annotation
files, which simplifies analysis of affymetrix hybridization results.

Sebastian Bauer in my group has done most of the work above. We would be
interested in getting your (and others') feedback on these features as
well as suggestions for new ones.

take care,
Peter
--