[gofriends] Announcement: Delivering Value from Avian Genomics

Fiona McCarthy FMcCarthy at cvm.msstate.edu
Fri Jan 4 06:17:29 PST 2008

This is the first announcement for the upcoming international meeting
“Delivering Value from Avian Genomics” May 19-20, 2008 and "Avian Gene
Ontology (GO) and Microarray Data Modeling Workshop", immediately
following on May 21-22, 2008. Both events will be held at Mississippi
State  University (fly to Atlanta and then to our local airport at GTR).

The meeting theme is to identify how value can be derived from past and
future investments in and from genomics research in aves. This theme is in
response to the recently released "Blueprint for USDA Efforts in
Agricultural Animal Genomics 2008­2017", the sequencing of the zebra finch
genome and the high profile importance of aves in human disease. We are
inviting interested representatives of USDA, NIH and CDC. We are now
negotiating to have invited and selected manuscripts published in a
special issue of a genomics journal.

The Avian Gene Ontology (GO) and Microarray Data Modeling Workshop will
provide education about the Gene Ontology, advice on the ways that you may
have annotated or annotate your own datasets and education on the tools
available to use the GO to model your microarray (and other) functional
genomics datasets to derive biological meaning.

Graduate student travel awards will be available.

Further details will be made available via this newsgroup and anyone
interested
can send an email to agbase at cse.msstate.edu and also be added to the
conference and/or workshop mailing list.

regards,

Shane Burgess
Susan Bridges
Fiona McCarthy