[Gofriends] April 2009 GOA release

Daniel Barrell dbarrell at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Apr 24 07:38:44 PDT 2009

GOA releases: April 2009
===========================

*** We have reached 40 million annotations! ***

GOA (GO Annotation at EBI) is a project run by the European Bioinformatics
Institute that aims to provide assignments of gene products to the Gene
Ontology (GO) resource.

The data can be obtained via:

            EBI FTP: ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/GO/goa/

            EBI SRS: http://srs.ebi.ac.uk. Search GOA data library

            GO FTP: ftp://ftp.geneontology.org/pub/go/gene-associations/

            GO CVS: http://www.geneontology.org/GO.CVS.help.html

For further information read: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA or contact
goa at ebi.ac.uk.

Important News about intended file format change:

Please note that GOA intends to change the content of the DB:Reference
field (Column 6) for all electronic annotations supplied in our gene
association files at the next file release.

Currently annotation lines produced by electronic methods (as indicated
by the presence of the 'IEA' evidence code in column 7) contain two
identfiers piped together in the reference column; an internal GOA
keyword (e.g. GOA:interpro) and a GO reference identifier (e.g.
GO_REF:0000002). As of the next file release, the GOA internal reference
(e.g. GOA:interpro) and pipe will be removed from this field, so that
only a GO_REF identifier will be provided.

Full descriptions of the methods referenced by a GO reference identifier
can be found at:  http://www.geneontology.org/cgi-bin/references.cgi

This format change will effect all annotation lines with the following
reference field contents:

GOA:interpro|GO_REF:0000002
GOA:hamap|GO_REF:0000020
GOA:spkw|GO_REF:0000004