[Gofriends] Alert: proposal to remove underscores from root term names

Midori Harris midori at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 06:34:18 PDT 2009

We have received one comment so far:

   Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:31:29 -0400
   From: Barry Zeeberg <zeebergb at mail.nih.gov>
   To: Midori Harris <midori at ebi.ac.uk>
   Subject: Re: [Gofriends] Alert: proposal to remove underscores from root
   term names

   Dear Midori,

   I agree the underscores are inconsistent, but that inconsistency
   should not have been introduced in the first place. Given that it
   unfortunately was introduced, I think that you should not change it
   at this late date, as that could lead to a lot of effort, by us and
   other developers, to change existing software that relies on that
   format. We have lost most of our software team, and it would add to
   our problems to have to track down all the potential places for
   problems (or to have users run into these problems).

   So I really hope you can re-consider this action.

   Thanks,
   Barry

Note that the proposed change would affect only the 'name' tag in an OBO
stanza, and the 'name' field of the 'term' table in the MySQL database;
these fields are changed fairly frequently for non-root terms.

Midori