[Gofriends] [hcls] Re: FW: Alert: proposal to remove underscores from rootterm names

Doug Howe dhowe at zfin.org
Thu Jun 4 12:09:46 PDT 2009

I simply noticed that we and other MODs were displaying the root term
strings with the "_" in them.  It's not a big deal..just looks odd.
It seems like software & ontology development practices are impinging
upon the user experience in an undesirable way.   Ideally, (and
perhaps naively) it seems like root terms should be detected in some
way other than by checking their name strings, and though root terms
are special term cases, they are still just terms in the ontology and
thus should not have '_' in them.  The presence of the "_" means
special handling must be added to remove the "_" to get a sensible
display.

It's a very minor issue, and it does not sound like the disruption it
would cause is justifiable at this stage.

-Doug