[Gofriends] linguistic analysis of GO terms -- pigmentation

Jane Lomax jane at ebi.ac.uk
Tue May 18 12:53:20 PDT 2010

Hi again Colleen - apologies, upon closer examination this turned out to
be more complicated than it looks.

So it looks like the 'pigment accumulation' term is supposed to describe
the aggregation of pigment within a pigment-containing cell - note that
the definition is rather misleading here becuase it talks about accumulation
'in an organism, tissue or cell' when in fact the accumulation within a
tissue or organism is just the result of the accumulation within
individual cells - more like a phenotypic observation.

The developmental pigmentation term describes the movement of the
pigment-containing cells themsleves to deposit pigment within a tissue or
organism (note that the definition here is misleading too: "The
developmental process that results in the deposition of coloring matter in
an organism, tissue or cell." - for a cell this process wouldn't be
developmental).

So in summary, the defintions of these terms could do with looking at, but
in fact I think you are right, the distinction is being made bewteen
pigment deposition (developmental) and pigment accumulation
(physiological). I'm not entirely sure they warrant a common parent term
to be honest, as they don't really have much in common other that they
involve pigment.

Jane

On Tue, 18 May 2010, Colleen E Crangle, Phd wrote:

> Hi Jane,
>
> Thanks for the clarification. Is an intended distinction being made
> between pigment aggregation and pigment deposition? Most of the time
> pigmentation-related terms in the ontology include the phrase
> "deposition or aggregation of coloring matter."
>
> Colleen

Dr Jane Lomax
GO Editorial Office
EMBL-EBI