[Gofriends] UniProtKB-GOA release [2011-04-08]

Tony Sawford tonys at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Apr 8 03:38:28 PDT 2011

UniProtKB-GOA release: 08 April 2011
====================================

UniProtKB-GOA (UniProtKB GO Annotation at EBI) is a project run by the
European Bioinformatics Institute that provides assignments of gene
products to the Gene Ontology (GO) resource.

The data can be obtained via:

           EBI FTP: ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/GO/goa/

           EBI SRS: http://srs.ebi.ac.uk. Search GOA data library

           GO FTP: ftp://ftp.geneontology.org/pub/go/gene-associations/

           GO CVS: http://www.geneontology.org/GO.CVS.help.html

For further information read: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA or contact
goa at ebi.ac.uk.

Latest News
===========

A greater diversity of identifiers in the 'with' field (column 8) of
manual annotations and a rise in the number of Reference Genome
annotations integrated.

Over the last month we have been working to provide a more complete
display of the manual annotations that we integrate into the
UniProtKB-GOA dataset from external annotation groups. Whereas
previously the 'with' field (column 8) in our annotation file was left
empty if a manual annotation did not include either UniProtKB or GO
identifier, our files now displays 43 different gene, protein and
chemical identifier types (such as WormBase, CHEBI and EcoCyc
identifiers) in this field. This development ensures that integrated
manual GO annotations display with the full set of information that
curation groups have used when translating experimental data into a GO
annotation.

The UniProtKB-GOA files also now contain a larger set of the manual
annotations supplied by the GO Consortium's Reference Genome project
(source: RefGenome). This project has generated inferred annotations for
47 species using GO Consortium manual annotations and phylogenetic trees
from gene families. The Reference Genome project is fully described
here: http://www.geneontology.org/GO.refgenome.shtml

Regards,
UniProtKB-GOA Production