[go-friends] Call for papers: 5th International Biocuration Conference (deadline: October 15, 2011)

Raja Mazumder rm285 at georgetown.edu
Tue Aug 2 07:33:22 PDT 2011

Dear colleagues,
The International Biocuration Conferences is a unique event for curators
and developers of biological databases to discuss their work, promote
collaborations, and foster a sense of community in this very active and
growing area of research. For the 5th International Biocuration
Conference (http://pir.georgetown.edu/biocuration2012.html), you are
invited to submit your work for publication, with the possibility for an
oral presentation at the Biocuration 2012 meeting. This call for papers
is done in collaboration with Database: The Journal of Biological
Databases and Curation (http://database.oxfordjournals.org/). This is a
great occasion to enhance the recognition of our profession by the
greater biological research communities.

There are seven topic sessions from which submitters are invited to select:
1. Ontologies, standards and best practices, including gold standard
datasets
2. Protein annotation; sequence, structure, pathway
3. Community annotation and Wikis
4. Genomics and metagenomics data curation
5. HTP data (focus on NGS and MS data) curation and presentation
6. Literature collection, text mining and curation
7. Tools to assist curation, including automated pipelines

Accepted papers will be given special consideration by the session
chairs for selection as oral presentations. In the event that an
accepted paper does not fit the scope of the session topics, it will
still be considered for publication in DATABASE but may not be invited
for a presentation at the conference.

Moreover, the DATABASE journal will create a virtual issue of papers
presented at the Biocuration conference in Washington DC on April 2-4,
2012. This virtual issue will be printed and distributed to conference
attendees.

The review process will be expedited for these papers and we will thus
need to be firm on the submission deadline:
• Call for papers: August 1, 2011
• Submission deadline: October 15, 2011
• First decisions: November 15, 2011
• Deadline for revisions: December 15, 2011
• Final decisions: January 10, 2012
• Conference: April 2-4 2012

Authors wishing to submit to DATABASE for the 2012 Biocuration Virtual
issue should go to the DATABASE home page
(http://database.oxfordjournals.org/) and click on the "submit now"
after having read the "Instructions to Authors". Authors should CLEARLY
state that they are submitting this manuscript for consideration for the
2012 Annual Biocuration conference so that the DATABASE staff will
ensure appropriate fast-track for inclusion in this meeting's proceedings.

In addition, in the database submission form, they should also select
"Biocuration Conference Paper" as a manuscript type. We We look forward
to your participation at the 5th International Biocuration Conference.

Kind regards,
-Biocuration 2012 Organizing Committee