[Gofriends] Mistake in GO structure?

Robinson, Peter peter.robinson at charite.de
Mon Jan 17 11:05:27 PST 2011

I think that the current terms do not state clearly enough whether cellular respiration or organismal respiration is meant. I doubt that it will be possible to create a hierarchy that will comfortably and correctly apply to both senses of this word with a simple tree and wonder whether it might not be best to limit the term that GO now has to cellular respiratory processes and consider adding new terms to describe the process of mechanically getting air to the alveoli in larger animals.
-Peter

PD Dr. med. Peter N. Robinson, MSc.
Institut für Medizinische Genetik
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin