[Gofriends] Announcement of changes to QuickGO

Rachael Huntley huntley at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 02:25:38 PST 2011

The UniProtKB-GOA group would like to alert users to two upcoming
changes to the QuickGO tool.

1. We intend to remove the ancestor table view from the GO term page,
(see example;
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/QuickGO/GTerm?id=GO:0006350#term=anctable) as we
feel this is a confusing view of the ancestry of a GO term and can
sometimes be inaccurate in its representation. The ancestor chart view
will remain.

2. We intend to remove the 'goslim_goa' predefined GO term set, which is
currently visible from this page;
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/QuickGO/GMultiTerm. It is felt that this term set
now provides an inadequate top-level representation of the GO ontologies
that could provide users with misleading results. A good alternative GO
term set to use is the 'goslim_generic', which has recently been updated
and refined to give a good coverage of general biological features
within the Biological Process and Cellular Component ontologies.

If there are any objections to either of these changes, could you please
email goa at ebi.ac.uk with details by 28th February 2011. We intend to
make the changes shortly after this date.

Many thanks,

UniProtKB-GOA