[go-friends] Change to UniProt-GOA display of InterPro2GO annotations

Rachael Huntley huntley at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Aug 17 06:28:01 PDT 2012

Dear all,

We would like to announce a change we will implement this weekend to our
display of InterPro2GO annotations.

Currently, when different InterPro domains predict the same GO ID to the
same protein, we are displaying these as separate annotations. We are
changing this so that all the InterPro domains that predict the same GO
ID for the same protein will be piped together in the 'with' field of a
single annotation line.

An example;
Currently there are 4 annotations linking GO:0030170 to A0A000 from
InterPro2GO:

A0A000 GO:0030170 pyridoxal phosphate binding F IEA InterPro:IPR004839
20120512 InterPro
A0A000 GO:0030170 pyridoxal phosphate binding F IEA InterPro:IPR010961
20120512 InterPro
A0A000 GO:0030170 pyridoxal phosphate binding F IEA InterPro:IPR015421
20120512 InterPro
A0A000 GO:0030170 pyridoxal phosphate binding F IEA InterPro:IPR015422
20120512 InterPro

This data will instead be represented as:

A0A000 GO:0030170 pyridoxal phosphate binding F IEA
InterPro:IPR004839|InterPro:IPR010961|InterPro:IPR015421|InterPro:IPR015422
20120512 InterPro

This will greatly reduce the redundancy of InterPro annotations; we
estimate that the number will decrease by approximately 32 million.

This change will initially be apparent in the QuickGO browser
(www.ebi.ac.uk/QuickGO) but will not be visible in our Gene Association
Files until our next release at the beginning of September.

If you have any concerns or questions, please contact goa at ebi.ac.uk

Best wishes,
Rachael.

--
Project Leader
UniProt - Gene Ontology Annotation Project

Email: huntley at ebi.ac.uk
UniProt Gene Ontology Annotation Project: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA
http://twitter.com/emblebi