[go-friends] UniProt-GOA release [2012-03-06]

Tony Sawford tonys at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 08:21:47 PST 2012

UniProt-GOA release: 06 March 2012
==================================

UniProt-GOA (UniProt GO Annotation) is a project run by the UniProt
group that provides assignments of gene products to the Gene Ontology
(GO) resource.

The data can be obtained via:

          EBI FTP: ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/GO/goa/

          EBI SRS: http://srs.ebi.ac.uk. Search GOA data library

          GO FTP: ftp://ftp.geneontology.org/pub/go/gene-associations/

          GO CVS: http://www.geneontology.org/GO.CVS.help.html

For further information read: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA or contact
goa at ebi.ac.uk.

Latest News
===========

1. Change to the references applied by UniProtKB Keyword and UniProtKB
Subcellular Location 2 GO annotations

As of this release, references supplied in annotations from two
UniProtKB automatic annotation pipelines have changed.

Annotations created from mappings between GO and the UniProtKB keywords
and UniProtKB Subcellular Location controlled vocabularies previously
cited the GO reference GO_REF:0000004 and GO_REF:0000023, respectively.

However, terms from these UniProtKB controlled vocabularies are applied
differently to UniProt Swiss-Prot and TrEMBL entries; UniProtKB terms
are manually annotated to UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot entries, whereas
UniProtKB/TrEMBL entries are annotated from data supplied by the
underlying nucleic acid databases and/or by the UniProt automatic
annotation program. As advised in our December 2011 release, we have now
changed the cited references in the supplied GO annotations to highlight
these differences.

>From the current release onwards, the UniProt-GOA annotation set will use:
GO_REF:0000037 or GO_REF:0000038 instead of GO_REF:0000004 for UniProtKB
keyword annotations
GO_REF:0000039 or GO_REF:0000040 instead of GO_REF:0000023 for UniProtKB
Subcellular Location annotations

Further descriptions all of these references are available at:
http://www.geneontology.org/cgi-bin/references.cgi

2. UniProt-GOA are delighted to announce that we now supply more than
120 million annotations to over 14 million proteins.

All annotations are available in the 106th release of the UniProt-GOA
'UniProt' file. The vast majority of the annotations (99%) are created
by automatic annotation methods, including InterPro to GO and Swiss-Prot
Keyword to GO mappings.
For more information on the automatic annotation methods that we
incorporate, please see
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA/ElectronicAnnotationMethods.html.
For details on our manual annotation practices, please see
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA/ManualAnnotationEfforts.html.

UniProt-GOA would like to thank all of the contributing groups that have
helped us reach this milestone. Links to our collaborating groups are
displayed on our website, http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA.

Regards,
UniProt-GOA Production