[go-friends] Automated Function prediction SIG: < week to submit abstracts!

Iddo Friedberg idoerg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 06:45:10 PDT 2013

Less than one week left to submit your abstract!

The Automated Function Prediction, an ISMB 2013 Special Interest Group
meeting and CAFA: Critical Assessment of Function Annotations. July 20,
2013, Berlin

Keynote speakers

* Patricia Babbitt, University of California, San Francisco
* Alex Bateman, European Bioinformatics Institute
* Anna Tramontano, “La Sapienza” University, Rome.

Key dates:
* April 20, 2013: Deadline for submitting extended abstracts posters & talks
* May 9, 2013: Notifications for accepted abstracts e-mailed to
corresponding authors
* May 16, 2013: Deadline for presenters to confirm acceptance of invitation
to speak.
* July 20, 2013: AFP SIG preceding ISMB/ECCB 2013, Berlin

Sequence and structure genomics have generated a wealth of data, but
extracting meaningful information from genomic information is becoming an
increasingly difficult challenge. Both the number and the diversity of
discovered sequences are increasing, and the fraction of genes whose
function is known is decreasing. In addition, there is a need for
annotation which is standardized so that it could be incorporated into
function annotation on a large scale. Finally, there is a need to assess
the quality of the available function predictionsoftware.

For these reasons and many more, automated protein function prediction is
rapidly gaining interest among computational biologists in academia and
industry.

The Automated Function Prediction Special Interest Group (AFP SIG) has been
part of ISMB since 2005. We call upon all researchers involved in gene and
protein functionprediction and annotation, both computational and
experimental, to submit an abstract to the AFP meeting. Authors of select
abstracts will be invited to give a talk and/or present a poster.

We will also be discussing the upcoming second Critical Assessment of
FunctionAnnotations, or CAFA. CAFA 1 was a highly successful experiment,
engaging 30 groups worldwide, and has resulted in 16 peer-reviewed papers
in Nature Methods and BMC Bioinformatics:

http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v10/n3/full/nmeth.2340.html

http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcbioinformatics/supplements/14/S3

We are looking forward to a new and expanded CAFA 2 in 2013-2014, which
will include a cellular component prediction track, and a human-specific
track.

For further instructions on AFP 2013, please go here:
http://BioFunctionPrediction.org <http://biofunctionprediction.org/>

We are looking forward to seeing you in Berlin!

Iddo Friedberg, co-chair, on behalf of the AFP 2013 organizing committee

For continuing information, please subscribe to the following Google Group:
 https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/afp-cafa

Contact: afp.cafa.2013 at gmail.com

--
Iddo Friedberg