[go-friends] Phenotype Ontology course

Suzanna Lewis suzi at berkeleybop.org
Mon Jun 3 11:26:45 PDT 2013

Dear GO community:

The Phenotype RCN in conjunction with NESCent, is offering the phenotype ontologies course [1] again this summer.  The deadline for applications is 7 June, and we are eager for more participants.  If you or your students or postdocs are interested, please let us know (pmabee at usd.edu).   We do have funding to help folks, so that should not be a barrier.

Matt Yoder, Melissa Haendel, and Jim Balhoff are doing the instruction again, most of it hands-on, with emphasis on practical aspects of working with ontologies, annotation, interoperability and examples of the kinds of research questions that can be addressed.   Deadline is 1 June, but let me know if a few extra days are needed.

Thanks! Suzi

Ontologies for Evolutionary Biology
July 29 to August 3, 2013
National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent), Durham, NC

For more information about the course and how to apply, please go to:

https://academy.nescent.org/wiki/Ontologies_for_evolutionary_biology

Applications will be reviewed beginning on June 1, 2013. Admission is expected to be competitive, so your application is not a guarantee of a space in the workshop.

Evolutionary research has been revolutionized by the explosion of genetic information available, and ontologies must play a central role in relating this knowledge to observable diversity. Ontologies provide scaffolding that interconnects many kinds of observations; across species, they provide evolutionary, developmental, and mechanistic insights. In this course, we will discuss the integration points between ontologies including anatomy, phenotype, ecology, and biodiversity efforts; on partnerships between domain experts and expert ontologists; and on descriptions of various tools and tricks to handle ontologies and ontology-annotated data in the context of evolutionary biology.