[go-friends] UniProt-GOA release [2014-01-22]

Tony Sawford tonys at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 00:31:08 PST 2014

UniProt-GOA release: 22 January 2014
====================================

UniProt-GOA (UniProt GO Annotation) is a project run by the UniProt
group that provides assignments of gene products to the Gene Ontology
(GO) resource.

The data can be obtained via:

          EBI FTP: ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/GO/goa/

          GO FTP: ftp://ftp.geneontology.org/pub/go/gene-associations/

          GO SVN: http://www.geneontology.org/GO.svn.help.shtml

For further information read: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA or contact
goa at ebi.ac.uk.

Latest News
===========

1. As of this release we have suspended submission to the GO Consortium
(GOC) of species-specific Gene Association Files if another
group is responsible for the provision of GO annotations to that
species. This affects the following files:

gene_association.goa_arabidopsis
gene_association.goa_mouse
gene_association.goa_rat
gene_association.goa_zebrafish

These files will no longer be available from the GOC annotation download
webpage (http://www.geneontology.org/GO.downloads.annotations.shtml) nor the
GOC ftp site
(ftp://ftp.geneontology.org/pub/go/gene-associations/submission/).
Users will still be able to get annotations for all of these species
from the UniProt multispecies file on the GOC website
(http://www.geneontology.org/GO.downloads.annotations.shtml#unfilter).

The above species-specific files will continue to be made available from
the UniProt-GOA ftp site (ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/GO/goa/).

2. As of the UniProt-GOA release in February 2014, we will remove all of
the archived species-specific files mentioned above from the GOC CVS
repository. These archived files will still be available from
ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/GO/goa/old/

3. In this release there is a substantial increase in GO Consortium
'inferred' annotations. These annotations are automatically created
based on inter-ontology links between Molecular Function and Biological
Process terms and between Biological Process and Cellular Component
terms. The increase is due to enhancements to the pipeline to take
account of the GO hierarchy.

4. We are pleased to announce that this release of UniProt-GOA gene
association files includes manual annotations for Trypanosoma brucei and
Leishmania major that have been created by the GeneDB project.

Details of GeneDB can be found at: http://www.genedb.org/Homepage

Regards,
UniProt-GOA Production