[go-friends] UniProt-GOA release [2016-02-16]

Tony Sawford tonys at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 07:11:03 PST 2016

UniProt-GOA release: 16 February 2016
=====================================

UniProt-GOA (UniProt GO Annotation) is a project run by the UniProt
group that provides assignments of gene products to the Gene Ontology
(GO) resource.

The data can be obtained via:

           EBI FTP: ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/GO/goa/

           GO FTP: ftp://ftp.geneontology.org/pub/go/gene-associations/

           GO SVN: http://www.geneontology.org/GO.svn.help.shtml

For further information read: http://www.ebi.ac.uk/GOA or contact
goa at ebi.ac.uk.

Latest News
===========

- Proposed changes to GOA annotation files

Following discussions with the GO Consortium, we are planning to make
some changes to the set of species-specific annotation files that we
publish.

For each of the following species, we currently publish two sets of
annotations, one based on the UniProt complete proteome, and one based
on the UniProt reference proteome:

	human chicken cow pig dog mouse rat arabidopsis zebrafish worm yeast
fly dicty

We intend to cease production of the current goa_<species> and
goa_ref_<species> files, and replace them with the following four
annotation sets per species, which we will provide in both GAF and GPAD
format (note that the names of the files are as yet undecided):

	1. annotations to canonical accessions from the UniProt reference proteome
	2. annotations to isoforms from the UniProt reference proteome
	3. annotations to complexes
	4. annotations to RNAs

Note that annotations to proteins that are not part of the UniProt
reference proteome for a species will still be available in the full
goa_uniprot annotation set.

Note also that this change will not be implemented before the GOA
release that is scheduled for the week of March 14th 2016.

Comments on this proposal should be sent to goa at ebi.ac.uk

Regards,
UniProt-GOA Production