[go-friends] Information of GO relations?

Robert Rentzsch robertrentzsch.work at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 06:14:06 PST 2016

Hi Iddo,

This seems to be highly under/undocumented indeed, at least within GO
itself. For this reason I'd have thought it's not being used in any
official GO annotation files thus far? Yet, I spose you asking suggests the
opposite. Probably it's best to contact the GO people directly. All I could
find is the following:

This describes what annotation extensions to GO are and how they are (now)
/ may be used (in the future):
http://bmcbioinformatics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2105-15-155

Since those 'extra' (non-standard GO) relations are defined in an extra
ontology, the relation ontology or RO, the reasoning is probably to have it
documented there: https://github.com/oborel/obo-relations

And indeed there, under 'Shortcut Relations', of which 'capable of' is one,
you find a link to it's definition (viewed with OntoBee):
http://www.ontobee.org/ontology/RO?iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/RO_0002215

"Definition: A relation between a material entity (such as a cell) and a
process, in which the material entity has the ability to carry out the
process."

Maybe that helps somehow,
All the best,
Rob