[go-friends] EC2GO mapping changes

Harold Drabkin Harold.Drabkin at jax.org
Thu Oct 27 13:59:53 PDT 2016

The EC2GO mapping file is generated automatically from the GO ontology file using EC ids in term xrefs. This was implemented around 6-5-2014.
However, due to the ontology structure, if an xref had an EC id with a dash (a class term) , then that id would map to that go term and any of it's children.
This resulted in some ec ids generating many superfluous GO term mappings .
An examples:
MGI: Heph: EC.1.-; this maps to "enzyme" and then we get hundreds annotations from descendants.
MGI: Pus1: had EC: 5.4.99.-, gave mappings to all of these enzyme activities (http://enzyme.expasy.org/EC/5.4.99.-), assuming the GO term for them existed.

So, the decision was made to by the ontology editors to remove an xref to EC that had a dash in it. This is an intended change.

For mgi, this reduced the number of IEAs for EC2GO from over 17,000 to a little over 900, but we weren't upset about them.

If you use this file you may note a similar drop

--
Harold J Drabkin, Ph.D.
Senior Scientific Curator