[go-friends] NIH RFI on Strategic Plan for Data Science: Database vs Knowledge base

Jaiswal, Pankaj - OSU jaiswalp at science.oregonstate.edu
Tue Mar 6 13:11:26 PST 2018

Database: https://www.google.com/search?q=define+database
a structured set of data held in a computer, especially one that is
accessible in various ways.
It's more like a datastore/data archive in some format that may/may_not
be tied to a DB schema etc. e.g. a catalog of sequences/SNPs (with no
additional inference drawing capability)

Knowledgebase: https://www.google.com/search?q=define+knowledgebase

 1.
    a store of information or data that is available to draw on. [tied
    to the Database/Data_store)
 2.
    **the underlying set of facts, assumptions, and rules that a
    computer system has available to solve a problem.

I agree with Chris.  In this reference I consider GO, Planteome and all
MOD project databases/data_stores as Knowledgebase, because it satisfies
the 'inference' making capability, provides analytical tools and informs
about various topic areas and their contextual relationships. rather
than a simple catalog of objects. May be there is a bigger message on
how these resources will be funded.

Pankaj

On 3/6/2018 11:56 AM, Chris Mungall wrote:

> The NIH has put at an RFI together with a draft strategic plan:
> https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-18-134.html
>
> I want to draw people's attention to p10 of the report
>
> /"NIH will distinguish between *databases* and *knowledgebases* (see
> text box “Databases and Knowledgebases: What’s the Difference?”) and
> will *support each separately from one another*"/
>
> OK, this is interesting. But caution advised, these are two pretty
> squishy terms that are used differently by different communities. For
> those of us with an AI background, "databases" are typically closer to
> the raw data, are curated at the level of metadata rather than data,
> whereas "knowledge bases" contain curated generalizations of the data.
> GO is a classic knowledge base (or Knowledge Graph, now that google
> has made that trendy). However it's historically been called a
> "database" since that is the term the community normally uses.
>
> Anyway, the distinction that the NIH makes in the report (box at
> bottom of p10 of the report) doesn't make any sense to me:
>
>   * an example of what might be in a database is /"functional
>     annotations of gene products"/
>   * an example of what might be in a knowledgebase is
>     /"protein-protein interaction networks"/
>
> To me this is precisely reversed. PPI networks are often raw data,
> e.g. coIP. A functional annotation is as absolutely paradigmatic case
> of knowledge as you could wish for.
>
> Normally I save terminological minutiae such as "what's the difference
> between an ontology and terminology" to the bar or to the filing
> cabinet marked Pointless Discussions We Used To Have In The Early Days
> of GO. However, if the NIH is going to make important funding
> decisions based on a difference between "Database" and "Knowledge
> Base", it's crucial that we educate them. This is important for GO
> (and for other knowledge databases/repositories/resources/whatever you
> want to call them). Given that functional annotation is explicitly
> called out in the draft report, I think this calls for a specific
> response from the entire GO community.

Pankaj Jaiswal, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. of Botany and Plant Pathology