[go-friends] GO mailing list reorganization

Suzi Aleksander suzia at stanford.edu
Mon Oct 14 13:52:54 PDT 2019

Dear GO Consortium members, friends, and users:

We are reorganizing our mailing lists.  We are retiring the GO-discuss list as most of the policy discussions are now held on on our version control software of choice, GitHub.  This change will take effect immediately.  Our remaining public mailing lists will be the GO-Consortium and the GO-friends mailing lists.

  *   GO-Consortium will contain announcements about GOC meetings, scheduled calls, and notifications of that day’s activity in the Ontology and Annotation GitHub trackers.  This will be of the most interest to active members of the Consortium and other curators that are interested in how the GO is actively progressing. Curation/developer groups contributing to the GO should ensure at least one member in their group monitors this list.

  *   GO-friends will contain newsletters from curation groups, release announcements, and ontology modification announcements including obsoletions.  This list is geared toward users that aren’t necessarily concerned with discussions about policies and practices, but want to be up to date with changes and developments within the GO. This list is intended for general users of the GO, not just Consortium members.

Some important announcements, like major releases or retractions, will be sent out to both lists.

If neither of the above lists really satisfied your itch for GO discussions, or you’d simply like help on how to join our conversations on GitHub, please contact us at help at geneontology.org<mailto:help at geneontology.org>.

How does this affect me?

We are combining the purposes of the GO-Consortium and GO-discuss lists, resulting in the elimination of GO-discuss.

Current members of the GO-Consortium list or the GO-friends list will not be affected.

If you were previously signed up for the GO-discuss list and wish to continue hearing about GO, you will need to subscribe to the GO-Consortium list.  You may also choose to sign up to GO-friends instead.

Unsubscribe me please!

If you are receiving this message and would like to be removed from one or more lists, use the field at the bottom of the Mailman tool:

GO-discuss: no action is needed, as this list is now defunct

Add me please!

If you wish to be added to a list, use the fields in the middle of the Mailman tool:

Need more info?

Please direct any questions to the GO Helpdesk at help at geneontology.org.

--The GO Helpdesk Team