[go-friends] Obsoletion notice: GO:0001134 transcription regulator recruiting activity and children

Pascale Gaudet pascale.gaudet at sib.swiss
Fri Jan 17 12:37:37 PST 2020

Dear all,

The proposal has been made to obsolete GO:0001134 transcription regulator recruiting activity and their children.

The reason for obsoletion is that the function of all proteins annotated to those terms should already be captured by other transcriptional regulator activities - most often 'co-regulator activity'

The function captured by the 'recruiting' terms represent "protein binding, bridging", but more relevant terms are suggested below.

GO:0001186 RNA polymerase I transcription regulator recruiting activity
-> consider GO:0001188 RNA polymerase I preinitiation complex assembly
GO:0001135 RNA polymerase II transcription regulator recruiting activity
-> consider GO:0003713 transcription coactivator activity
-> consider GO:0016251 RNA polymerase II general transcription initiation factor activity
-> consider GO:0000981 DNA-binding transcription factor activity, RNA polymerase II-specific
GO:0001004 RNA polymerase III transcription regulator recruiting activity
-> consider GO:0070898 RNA polymerase III preinitiation complex assembly
There are 42 manual annotations to those terms. Annotation review ticket is here: geneontology/go-annotation#2774 <https://github.com/geneontology/go-annotation/issues/2774>
Impacted groups:

Contributor (Assigned by)	 Number of annotations
CAFA	2
dictyBase	2
MGI	1
PomBase	1
SGD	37
UniProt	1

There are no mappings to those terms. Those terms are not present in any subsets.

Any comments can be added to the ticket: https://github.com/geneontology/go-ontology/issues/18561

We are opening a comment period for this proposed obsoletion. Since there are a few annotations we’d like to proceed and obsolete this term on February 4th, 2020. Unless objections are received by February 4th, 2020, we will assume that you agree to this change.

Thanks, Pascale