[go-friends] Re-compressed GO archives from 2002-2017 saves 2x in disk space (and bandwidth)

Wayne B Hayes whayes at uci.edu
Thu Mar 19 06:05:33 PDT 2020

Folks,

In preparation for a research project, I downloaded everything from '
http://archive.geneontology.org/full. Since 7z is *far* better at
compression than gzip, I recompressed everything using 7z. It's slower but
saves about 2x in disk space. If anybody is interested, I have put up the
recompressed versions on Google Drive, here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W3n2P6gz4yb4dsDgdk-w7dXOdvPYXZ2E

They are organized *per year*, rather than per month as you guys do. Let me
know if you'd like me to do it per month. I just figured that if anybody
else wants to download entire years, downloading 77GB rather than 135GB
(for 2016) was a bit better...

Next I need to try to figure out where y'all put everything starting
February 2017. Any hints? :-)