[go-friends] Announcement: Cessation of reasoning of ChEBI roles

Karen Christie Karen.Christie at jax.org
Fri May 22 08:52:13 PDT 2020

Dear all,

We will cease reasoning over ChEBI roles to infer relationships of specific chemicals to roles by June 1st, 2020 such that the next release of the ontology will no longer contain these relationships. This reasoning has been in place since November 2017 to infer relationships such as cocaine binding is a type of drug binding and ATP binding is a type of drug binding. However, because a chemical may only have a role in a specific role context, many of these inferences are not universally true and lead to incorrect inferences when considered in all contexts. We have concluded that these inferences are misleading in the ontology and can lead to incorrect statements about how chemicals act in all contexts. We plan to remove them to eliminate the errors they are causing.

This is part of a major revision of the way in which ChEBI roles are utilized within the GO. Some role-related terms are being obsoleted and others will be revised or placed differently within the ontology. We have already obsoleted grouping terms for the ChEBI roles of cofactor and coenzyme, as indicated in the tickets listed below. We will continue the revision of terms relating to ChEBI roles over the next few months.

Obsoletion notice: cofactor grouping terms #134<https://github.com/geneontology/go-announcements/issues/134>
Obsoletion notice: coenzyme grouping terms #135<https://github.com/geneontology/go-announcements/issues/135>
obsoletion of grouping terms for "cofactor" & "coenzyme" roles #19243<https://github.com/geneontology/go-ontology/issues/19243>

Thanks,

Karen Christie, on behalf of the GO editorial team

--
Karen R. Christie, Ph.D.
Senior Scientific Curator

---