[go-friends] Proposal to obsolete methotrexate terms

Karen Christie Karen.Christie at jax.org
Tue Sep 21 17:17:33 PDT 2021

Dear all,

The proposal has been made to obsolete all terms specifying the compound "methotrexate:

- GO:0051870 - methotrexate binding (F)
- GO:0015350 - methotrexate transmembrane transporter activity (F)
- GO:0051958 - methotrexate transport (P)
- GO:0031427 - response to methotrexate (P)

The reason for obsoletion is that methotrexate is a synthetic compound that is an analog of folic acid. It's effects on organisms are usually due to its similarity to folic acid, not due to any organism being evolved to deal with methotrexate specifically.

There are 39 experimental, IC, or ISS annotations to this term by these groups:

- ARUK-UCL         6
- BHF-UCL            8
- CAFA                   1
- GeneDB             1
- RGD                     13
- UniProt              10

There are 0 InterPro2GO mappings to these terms.

These terms are not included in any subsets.

Detailed suggestions for reannotation are present in the annotation review spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jnr6pFzq9r5UADhZyZOM-1DCRQ-7ziQ3bdfGE--r4lo/edit#gid=0

Any comments can be  added to the issue: https://github.com/geneontology/go-ontology/issues/21998

We are opening a comment period for this proposed obsoletion. We’d like to proceed and obsolete this term on September 28th, 2021. Unless objections are received by 9/27/21, we will assume that you agree to this change.

Thanks,

-Karen

---