[Gohelp] Functional classification of protein lists

Rachael Huntley huntley at
Wed Mar 4 05:40:25 PST 2009

Dear Dr. Katam,

Thank you for contacting GO.

There are a number of GO analysis tools available, the GO Consortium has
developed the AmiGO Term Enrichment tool;

In addition, there are many third-party analysis tools listed on the GO
Consortium website;
The tools on this list are developed outside the GO Consortium, so if
you have queries about these tools please contact the developers directly.

Some papers that you might find useful for use of GO annotations for
functional classification are;

Khatri and Draghici. (2005) Ontological analysis of gene expression
data: current tools, limitations, and open problems. Bioinformatics 21 p3587
Rhee et al. (2008) Use and misuse of the Gene Ontology (GO) annotations.
Nature Review Genetics 9 p509
Dimmer et al. (2008) The Gene Ontology - Providing a Functional Role in
Proteomic Studies. Proteomics. PMID:18634107

I hope this is helpful. If you have further questions, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes,
Rachael Huntley.

> Subject:
> GO Help query (from Ramesh Katam)
> From:
> katamr at
> Date:
> Tue, 3 Mar 2009 05:42:28 -0800 (PST)
> To:
> gohelp at
> To:
> gohelp at
>contactName: Ramesh Katam
>contactEmail: katamr at
>contactText: I want to work on GO to obtain functional classification of Proteins I generated using LC MS/MS. I appreciate your time.

Do you need any additional GO annotation resources?
Which proteins would you like annotated with GO?

Let us know in the GOA User Survey, available at

Rachael Huntley Ph.D.

European Bioinformatics Institute-EMBL
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Cambridge CB10 1SD