[Gohelp] GO structure query

Jane Lomax jane at
Thu Oct 29 04:55:01 PDT 2009

Dear feng gao,

Thanks for your interest in GO. To answer your first question, you can
either view the term in a browser such as the GO tool AmiGO:

If after you've found your term you view in in any of the tree views
you'll be able to see the parent and child terms.

e.g. for mitochondrion:

or you can directly query the GO database here:

You'll find example queries in the pulldown menu.

Regarding your other two questions, GO is structured as a directed
graph, where each term can have one or more parents. As such, any term
can have multiple paths back to the root which is probably why you can
see the same term in different locations in the tree. This also means
that GO terms do not occupy strict fixed levels in the hierarchy so it
is not possible to create a file like the one you describe I'm afraid.
There's more information on GO structure here:

Hope this helps,

Jane Lomax
GO helpdesk
> Subject:
> GO Help query (from website)
> From:
> gaomoutaint at
> Date:
> Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:27:05 -0700
> To:
> gohelp at
> To:
> gohelp at
> Email: gaomoutaint at
> Name: Ontology (from feng gao)
> Text: how can i know a random GO term's father level or its children level?
> can i find the relationship map of all the GO term in excel format? such as GO 000005  1.1
>                       GO 000054  1.1.3
> another question, why same GO term has different location in the GO trees?

Dr Jane Lomax
GO Editorial Office
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Cambridgeshire, UK