[go-helpdesk] membrane v plasma membrane

Susan Tweedie sart2 at gen.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 08:58:37 PDT 2012

Dear Christian

On 21 Jun 2012, at 21/Jun/2012 15:37:39, Christian Moritz wrote:

> Dear Susan Tweedie,
>
> thank you for your very fast answer.
> I used AmiGO (especially the Gene Product Annotation Overview) to
> search for the GO terms.
>
> And I can give you an example of my problem. (I hope the links work.)
>
> The first link shows a protein, for which both "membrane" and
> "plasma membrane" was annotated.
>
> http://amigo.geneontology.org/cgi-bin/amigo/gp-assoc.cgi?gp=RGD:1306991&session_id=9487amigo1340183832
>

> This second link shows a protein, for which only "plasma membrane"
> was annotated.
>
> http://amigo.geneontology.org/cgi-bin/amigo/gp-assoc.cgi?ont=cellular_component&evcode=all&gp=RGD%3A735038&session_id=8014amigo1340288081
>

> I'm interested in the difference of these two strategies: showing
> only the direct annotation in case #1 or showing a parent term
> additionally (case #2) although using the same search strategy.

I  now understand that this difference reflects the underlying data
rather than your search strategy. When you view the data in this way
all of the annotations are direct. The confusing feature is that in
the first case membrane and plasma membrane have both been annotated
directly based on the same evidence (i.e. from sequence orthology with
the mouse protein Lamp5 Q9D387).

The rat database (RGD) made these annotations based on an automated
pipeline described here: http://rgd.mcw.edu/rgdweb/report/reference/main.html?id=1624291
. Their annotations reflect the fact that the mouse protein has
distinct manual annotations to both plasma membrane and membrane based
on experimental evidence. It is not unusual for this to happen -
different papers provide evidence at different resolutions and
existing annotations are not necessarily removed when more detailed
information becomes available.

The unusual thing about this example is that the source mouse
annotations were based on the same publication (PMID:17215451). It is
not typical for a curator to annotate to both a specific and general
term from the same paper as the information is redundant.  I can only
assume that the paper showed that the protein was in both the plasma
membrane and another unnamed membrane so they tried to capture this
second location with the generic term.

In the second example, the rat annotation to plasma membrane is
inferred from sequence orthology with human CCT3 - there is no direct
annotation to membrane for that protein.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes,
Susan