[interestingjobs] Executive Director at the Small Change Fund

Rob Reich reich at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 27 15:01:38 PDT 2012

SMALL CHANGE FUND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
SMALL CHANGE FUND
Small Change Fund is strengthening the capacity of people and organizations to build lasting change from the ground up. We support important grassroots projects that put decision-making in the hands of local people and contribute to building sustainable communities across the country.
At Small Change Fund we believe that by strengthening the capacity of people and organizations working at the grassroots level we are building a stronger, more resilient and inclusive civil society in Canada. We find new and better ways to support people with great ideas at the local level: we help build the capacity of people and organizations so they can effect change in their communities; we provide easy and innovative ways for Canadians to directly invest in their efforts; and we work with kindred organizations to help them get small grants to local groups nationwide.
Small Change Fund is a member of the Global Greengrants Alliance of Funds, comprised of independent grantmaking institutions committed to growing grassroots philanthropy worldwide.
THE OPPORTUNITY
Small Change Fund is entering its third year of formal, public operations. We have accomplished a great amount in just two years with generous support from a talented team combined with a cost- effective approach to building an organization based on simplicity and best practices. We have built a solid organizational foundation, experimented with our model, and have begun to determine best practices in program delivery and strategies with the greatest potential for impact.
Small Change Fund is seeking a new Executive Director that will lead the organization into the next phase of growth and development. With an robust strategic plan in place (2012 – 2014), a solid platform on which to build an operational plan, and a small and dyanamic staff team, the new Executive Director will realize the vision of the organiation by focusing on core strategies, developing a sustainable revenue model, and measuring and evaluating our impact so that we can continue to be Canada’s leader in encouraging and facilitating grassroots giving in Canada.
As one of the first organizations in Canada to connect small, local projects for environmental and social change – primarily from rural and aboriginal communities – to individual and institutional donors on a national scale, the new Executive Director will be an innovative, entrepreneurial and visionary leader working with a nimble, supportive, and empowering board and a staff team with the expertise necessary to build the voices of grassroots leaders across the country. This is aunique and exciting opportunity to shape a young and dynamic organization in the early stages of its development with a high potential for innovation and growth, and to influence community- based action across Canada at an important time in the evolution of the social profit sector.
RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors of Small Change Fund and is responsible for aligning Small Change Fund, both internally and externally, with our strategic vision, building and developing foundational elements of the organization, ensuring continual learning, and ensuring the execution of the strategic plan. The Excutive Director will:
•	Provide strong leadership to Small Change Fund and ensure that its culture is that of an entrepreneurial, innovative, impact-oriented organization
•	Participate with the Board in realizing the organization’s vision, mission, and strategic plan •	Develop strategies and innovative programs and partnerships through which the mission,
strategies, and goals of the organization can be attained •	Develop and implement a plan to ensure the financial sustainability of the organization,
including working with and cultivating diverse sources of support •	Communicate, both internally and externally, Small Change Fund goals, strategies, programs
and values •	Inspire and support staff and advisors to excel in their roles •	Work with the Board to develop monitoring and evaluation protocols to track the
organization’s ongoing effectiveness, and provide feedback to the Board on progress •	Be a champion of grassroots giving and community-based action both nationally and
internationally
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will: •	Have an understanding of and/or experience working within the social profit field including
philanthropy, non-profit organizations, corporate social responsibility, social enterprise, etc. •	Be knowledgeable in the work of foundations, grassroots giving, online philanthropy, as well
as the regulations associated with
charities and public foundations •	Have demonstrated leadership and management experience in an organization similar to
Small Change Fund in size and stage •	Have a high level of energy and passion for grassroots giving and community-based action •	Be a strong advocate for, and an effective communicator of, Small Change Fund’s vision,
mission, and and its role i
 n Canada’s social profit sector •	Have solid fundraising experience with individuals, corporations, and institutions •	Be known as a relationship-builder and collaborator •	Be known as a person with high integrity, creativity, and adaptability •	Be a strong and effective decision maker and demonstrate an ability to think strategically and
collaboratively •	Possess a passion for our nation’s diversity and the cultural richness •	Have experience working effectively with Boards and manage positively and constructively
the interface between
staff and the Board of Directors •	Embody an enthusiastic, energizing, and positive approach to work and be an effective team
player with others in a collaborative and flexible workplace •	Have excellent oral and written communication skills •	Have 8+ years of experience, with a significant emphasis on experience relevant to this role •	Have a relevant undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field •	French language proficiency considered an asset •	Experience working with and/or in rural and remote communities considered an asset
OTHER DETAILS OF THE POSITION
Compensation is commensurate with experience. The organization is based at the Centre for Social Innovation | Annex in Toronto, Ontario. This is a full-time position and the ability to travel nationally is preferred.
The complete profile for the Executive Director’s position is available upon request.
HOW TO APPLY

Interested candidates should send their expression of interest to Ruth Richardson, Chair of the Board of Directors, by Sunday 1 September 2012, 5:00 PM EST at ruth at smallchangefund.org. Expressions of interest should include both a cover letter expressing your interest in the position and a résumé outlining past experience and expertise.
We appreicate the interest of all candidates, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.