[java-nlp-user] Reg : Dependency graph

GerardPer at GerardPer at
Fri Apr 8 07:38:58 PDT 2011

Can anyone indicate whether or not the CoreNLP Tools have the capability to
 determine the sentence boundaries of nested sentences, particularly when
they  may occur after a colon or a semicolon?

In a message dated 4/8/2011 1:52:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
horatio at writes:

>  However, its sentence splitting is clearly broken (eg Dr. is not a
sentence by  itself)

FWIW, maybe not very much, the next release of the parser will  have
the sentence splitting fixed.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:50 PM,  John Bauer <horatio at> wrote:
> Correct.  When  printed out via the toString() method, eg the way it
> gets printed from  running the parser, it is
> type(governor,  dependent)
> Unfortunately, I don't know any way to nicely  visualize the
> dependencies, but such a thing shouldn't be hard to  write.  There is
> this:
> java  edu.stanford.nlp.parser.ui.Parser
>  ../stanford-releases/stanford-parser-2010-11-30/englishFactored.ser.gz
>  ../foo.txt
> However, its sentence splitting is clearly broken  (eg Dr. is not a
> sentence by itself) and it displays parse trees, not  dependencies, so
> it's basically not at all what you  want.
> John
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at  6:10 AM, shady <sinvija at> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>  With respect to the dependencies that we get from Stanford parser,
what is
>> the head of it in the tuple. Is it the first argument  ?
>> for eg nsubj(makes, Bell)
>> here 1st argument makes is  the head and Bell is the child of it.
>> Instead of manually creating  graph from the collapsed dependencies, is
>> any tool that we  can use to visualize it ?
>> Thanks.
>> With  regards,
>> VS
>> java-nlp-user at