[java-nlp-user] Mis-packaged CoreNLP 1.3.0 sources artifact on Maven Central

John Bauer horatio at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:45:43 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Christopher Manning
<manning at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Hi Richard and John,
>
> FWIW, I also have a preference for the sources to create a src directory.  I guess it all depends whether you're actually going to unpack it or just keep it packed.
>
> Looking at the sources of the various libraries that we use internally, it seems that at least the de facto standard is that jar files precisely mirror the class names (as Richard desires), but that source zip files do contain a src/ directory.
>
> So, one possible approach would be to include a source zip file in our download, but to not include a src level in the sources jar file that gets uploaded to maven central.  Of course, that means that there are two different sources artifacts.  If that seems to complex, I can live with just having a sources jar without a src level.  Putting a src level into a sources jar does seem to be a mistake.

Well, unpacking it is useful if you want to change & rebuild or even
just look at the original source.  In that case it's convenient to
have it in its own source directory, IMO.

On the other hand, if we need to keep the directory structure the same
to maximize compatibility with Eclipse or other software, I'd rather
not do the work of creating two different releases.  It was a good
point Richard brought up that one can unpack the sources jar into a
different directory as needed.

John