Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[liberationtech] Iran To Shut Down Internet Permanently

Walid AL-SAQAF <alkasir admin> admin at alkasir.com
Wed Apr 11 04:22:14 PDT 2012


Hi Amin,

It appears that the author has updated his story to present the Iranian
view. Here is what he sent me today:

I just wanted to share a follow-up on my earlier story on Iran’s plans of
> National Intranet: Iran’s Denial Of Plan To Shut Down Internet: The Truth
> Lost In Translation<http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/326517/20120411/iran-internet-intranet-censorship-tehran-world-wide.htm>
>
> I hope this clarifies my point.
>

Sincerely,

Walid

-----------------

Walid Al-Saqaf
Founder & Administrator
alkasir for mapping and circumventing cyber censorship
https://alkasir.com <walid.al-saqaf at oru.se>


On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Amin Sabeti <aminsabeti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Walid,
>
> I referred to Taghipour’s statement published on April 5 in Kaleme.com
> which discussed about the final phase of National Intranet.
> khabarnegaran.info too published a similar statement on Mar. 25.
>
> *Kaleme.com and other websites made a mistake because this news was
> completely wrong and it was April Fools' Day from 2011. See here [Fa]: **
> http://itna.ir/vdcdfk0f.yt05z6a22y.html
> Therefore, you cannot say this is my source when your source is completely
> wrong!*
>
> Iran has been intermittently blocking external sites including Google and
> Yahoo:  http://en.rsf.org/internet-enemie-iran,39777.html and
> http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2012/01/04/will-iran-soon-have-its-own-clean-internet/
>
>
>
> The plan is yet to be implemented and experts say that this may not be
> feasible due to the complications it can cause to Iranian establishments.
>
>
>
> Also, I have mentioned in my article that external sites will *still be
> available*. “Foreign sites can still be accessed over the Intranet
> provided they are mentioned in a "white list" set up by the government.” So
> technically Internet will still be there. However Iran is definitely
> planning on a censoring the free Internet as it already has. It will be
> like a censored “corporate internet” as I have mentioned in my story.
>
>
>
> Though Iran has denied it they are still going ahead with the plan to
> establish national Intranet, the denial is only regarding how comprehensive
> the censorship is going to be.
>
> *
> *
>
> *They hasn't denied that they want to launch National Internet and at
> this time if you go to local website (like IRIB.ir) you can access to them
> with high speed connection but for foreign websites like Google, speed is
> not good however it depends on day.*
>
>
>
> Hope this clears
>
> The point is it was completely wrong as I said, it is April Fools' day
> from last year not this year!!!! :)
>
> Amin
>
>
>
> On 10 April 2012 11:45, Walid AL-SAQAF <alkasir admin> <admin at alkasir.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Amin,
>>
>> I agree with you on the use of the word 'permanently'. That is a fully
>> loaded word that ought have not been used in a journalistic article seeking
>> objectivity. However, upon reaching out to the author of that IBT story,
>> Amrutha Gayathri, he stood by his article and explained:
>>
>> I referred to Taghipour’s statement published on April 5 in Kaleme.com
>>> which discussed about the final phase of National Intranet.
>>> khabarnegaran.info too published a similar statement on Mar. 25.
>>>
>>> Iran has been intermittently blocking external sites including Google
>>> and Yahoo:  http://en.rsf.org/internet-enemie-iran,39777.html and
>>> http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/2012/01/04/will-iran-soon-have-its-own-clean-internet/
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The plan is yet to be implemented and experts say that this may not be
>>> feasible due to the complications it can cause to Iranian establishments.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Also, I have mentioned in my article that external sites will *still be
>>> available*. “Foreign sites can still be accessed over the Intranet
>>> provided they are mentioned in a "white list" set up by the government.” So
>>> technically Internet will still be there. However Iran is definitely
>>> planning on a censoring the free Internet as it already has. It will be
>>> like a censored “corporate internet” as I have mentioned in my story.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Though Iran has denied it they are still going ahead with the plan to
>>> establish national Intranet, the denial is only regarding how comprehensive
>>> the censorship is going to be.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Hope this clears
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> I did inform him however that the title may be misleading.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Walid
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> Walid Al-Saqaf
>> Founder & Administrator
>> alkasir for mapping and circumventing cyber censorship
>> https://alkasir.com
>> <walid.al-saqaf at oru.se>
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Amin Sabeti <aminsabeti at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ilf,
>>>
>>> This was April fools' day from last year (2011) and it recycled again by
>>> one of news website in Iran this year! Iranian government cannot disconnect
>>> users PERMANENTLY from Internet because they don't have enough
>>> infrastructure and also there is a huge business on Internet (especially
>>> for pro-government websites) which means they need WWW.
>>>
>>> BTW, this is a another myth like Haystack that media have created it and
>>> Iran can cut off Internet in short term but it's not possible for long term
>>> or permanently.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Amin
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 10 April 2012 11:06, ilf <ilf at zeromail.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>> http://img.ibtimes.com/www/**articles/20120409/325415_iran-**
>>>> internet-intranet-censorhip-**freedom-tehran-google.htm<http://img.ibtimes.com/www/articles/20120409/325415_iran-internet-intranet-censorhip-freedom-tehran-google.htm>
>>>>
>>>>  Millions of Internet users in Iran will be permanently denied access
>>>>> to the World Wide Web and cut off from popular social networking sites and
>>>>> email services, as the government has announced its plans to establish a
>>>>> national Intranet within five months.
>>>>> In a statement released Thursday, Reza Taghipour, the Iranian minister
>>>>> for Information and Communications Technology, announced the setting up of
>>>>> a national Intranet and the effective blockage of services like Google,
>>>>> Gmail, Google Plus, Yahoo and Hotmail, in line with Iran's plan for a
>>>>> "clean Internet."
>>>>> The government is set to roll out the first phase of the project in
>>>>> May, following which Google, Hotmail and Yahoo services will be blocked and
>>>>> replaced with government Intranet services like Iran Mail and Iran Search
>>>>> Engine. At this stage, however, the World Wide Web, apart from the
>>>>> aforementioned sites, will still be accessible.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> However, here Iran denies reports internet to be cut soon:
>>>> http://english.alarabiya.net/**articles/2012/04/10/206685.**html<http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/04/10/206685.html>
>>>>
>>>>  The reports derived from a supposed interview with Communications
>>>>> Minister Reza Taghipour published on April 1 that was in fact a hoax, the
>>>>> ministry said in the statement on its own site www.ict.gov.ir --
>>>>> which itself was not accessible outside of Iran.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Anyone have more details?
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> ilf
>>>>
>>>> Über 80 Millionen Deutsche benutzen keine Konsole. Klick dich nicht weg!
>>>>                -- Eine Initiative des Bundesamtes für Tastaturbenutzung
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> liberationtech mailing list
>>>> liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu
>>>>
>>>> Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:
>>>>
>>>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
>>>>
>>>> If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you
>>>> click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a
>>>> daily digest?"
>>>>
>>>> You will need the user name and password you receive from the list
>>>> moderator in monthly reminders. You may ask for a reminder here:
>>>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
>>>>
>>>> Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.
>>>>
>>>> Please don't forget to follow us on
>>>> http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> liberationtech mailing list
>>> liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu
>>>
>>> Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:
>>>
>>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
>>>
>>> If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click
>>> above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily
>>> digest?"
>>>
>>> You will need the user name and password you receive from the list
>>> moderator in monthly reminders. You may ask for a reminder here:
>>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
>>>
>>> Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.
>>>
>>> Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech
>>>
>>
>>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/attachments/20120411/747e313f/attachment.html>


More information about the liberationtech mailing list