Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] HRW is seeking a researcher on the internet and human rights
piracee at hrw.org
Mon Apr 23 07:22:27 PDT 2012
At Human Rights Watch we are seeking a full-time researcher to lead our work on the internet and human rights. Come and work with us, more info below.
Human Rights Watch
FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
Business and Human Rights Division
(Based in Washington, DC, flexible)
Application Deadline: May 18, 2012
Human Rights Watch ("HRW") is seeking a Researcher for its Business and Human Rights Division ("BHR") to lead its work on the internet and human rights globally. The Researcher will work to research the activities of governments, companies, and other entities that impact the ability of individuals to exercise their rights online in order to improve awareness and accountability for human rights online and in order to keep the internet open. This position reports to the Director of the Business and Human Rights Division.
1. Research, monitor and document human rights abuses by collecting and analyzing information from a wide variety of sources including governments, companies, local media, NGOs, victims, witnesses, journalists, diplomats, security forces and others in the field;
2. Write and publicize reports, briefing papers, letters, news releases, op-eds, and submissions to international bodies based on the findings; collect supporting documents and materials such as photographs and videos;
3. Assist in the development and implementation of local, regional, and international strategies to change abusive laws, policies, and practices in the public and private sector;
4. Respond promptly to queries from the media, public, and colleagues in the human rights community and take initiative to project concerns in public debate;
5. Place abuses within the broader political, social and economic contexts and present human rights concerns to government officials, opinion leaders, inter-governmental agencies, company representatives, multistakeholder initiatives, and the media;
6. Assist the Director of the Division and HRW's Development and Outreach Department in conducting fundraising;
7. Work closely with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and local human rights organizations to ensure that HRW's work complements and enhances their own work;
8. Liaise effectively with HRW staff located in multiple locations throughout the world to ensure effective coordination and delivery of activities;
9. Be prepared and willing to work flexible hours to accommodate developing and urgent events;
10. Travel domestically and overseas, as required, to conduct fact-finding missions and advocacy;
11. Deliver outputs in a timely manner and be consistent with the agreed strategy and priorities of the Division; and
12. Carry out any other duties as required.
Education: An advanced (graduate) degree in international relations, technology, journalism, law, social sciences, or equivalent experience is required.
Experience: Minimum of three years directly related post-graduate experience working on human rights and the internet is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Ability to identify, research, analyze and effectively communicate important human rights developments in the area of specialty is required.
2. Ability and sensitivity to conduct interviews with a wide range of people, including victims and witnesses are required.
3. Ability to efficiently distil information about internet and human rights issues so as to focus time and effort on issues of greatest importance or issues that are most capable of being influenced is required.
4. Ability to identify and advise the Director in developing and implementing advocacy strategies in order to seize advocacy opportunities is required.
5. Knowledge of and experience working in international human rights and familiarity with international human rights law is required.
6. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; proficiency in other languages is highly desirable
7. Strong initiative and follow-through, the capacity to think creatively and strategically, excellent writing and editing skills, and a dynamic public speaking ability are required.
8. Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within HRW, as well as with external partners, are required.
9. Ability to multi-task effectively, including having good planning and organizing skills and ability to work under pressure are required.
10. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
11. Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the global and local media environments and how to use the media and electronic media to further advocacy goals is desirable.
Other: S/he must be willing to travel frequently and be prepared to spend extensive periods in the field.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. HRW will pay reasonable relocation expenses and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, salary requirements, a brief writing sample (unedited by others), and contact information for three references to business at hrw.org. Please use "Researcher Ref BHR-12-1021-B" as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed and only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the liberationtech