Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[liberationtech] Jacob Appelbaum on Ultrasurf

Collin Anderson collin at averysmallbird.com
Thu Apr 26 12:31:13 PDT 2012


Ms. Fitzpatrick,

I find your recent comments to be nothing more than slander and innuendo;
you have failed to demonstrate either a basic understanding of the
technological mechanisms or policy issues at hand. Furthermore, you have
turned an argument about privacy and security amongst a cohort of peers
into an occasion to level the simultaneous, and contradictory, attacks of
working against the interests of the United States while apparently being
lackeys of the State Department. As others have managed to discuss this
matter in a manner that is civilized and professional, I fail to understand
why you cannot.

While I caught myself from responding initially, I sincerely regret that my
friends have indulged in responding to your calumny regarding Jacob
Appelbaum, the Tor Project and the community at large. I apologize to
everyone else for my ill-mannered and impolitic response, however, I write
in the hope that others who believe further conversation has any merit,
read the vile, contemptible nonsense written on your blog.

Cordially,
Collin Anderson

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Catherine Fitzpatrick
<catfitz at verizon.net>wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I'm aware that there are Roger Dingledine, Nick Mathewson and Paul
> Syverson are the founders of Tor. I take your point that Appelbaum isn't
> "the main founder". But he is a leader of Tor widely publicized, speaking
> and blogging publicly everywhere representing Tor. He likely has more name
> recognition than they at this point.
>
> Tor has been dining out on the fact that the Navy founded it ever since
> its inception, and raising the State Department's grants lately in
> particular, as you do, expecting this fact to endlessly give it a pass, and
> endlessly deflect any criticism or scrutiny. Why? If anyone complains about
> the radical views of Appelbaum and his open and defiant support of
> WikiLeaks, which incited theft and publication of classified government
> documents, we're supposed to wave away any concerns by being deflected back
> again to this magical Navy past and this perceived State Department
> blessing. Why? It's merely "innocence by association". (And what is the
> continued relationship of the Navy, if any? Is the Navy at all upset at the
> blowback from their love child? And is the State Department really so happy
> about all this? We don't know because their evaluations are secret. Guess
> they were never WikiLeaked.)
>
> I'm not making an "insinuation"; I'm reporting *the fact* of Appelbaum's
> investigation by a grand jury in the WikiLeaks case as *legitimately*
> raising the questions of what that means for the future of this project.
> That's ok to do.
>
> I haven't "fudged any facts". The information you cite is widely available
> and anyone can look it up. I simply mistook the wide association Appelbaum
> *has himself made* with Tor as indication of some kind of "founder" status.
> It isn't. But "leadership" status isn't something you cannot question.
> Wikipedia calls Appelbaum a "core member" of Tor. Tor is a collective.
> Perhaps you'll say there aren't any leaders? Oh, well. We get it, anyway.
>
> As for the State Department's continued support of Tor and Appelbaum, we
> can only raise an eyebrow. The over-confidence is disturbing. There is war
> in cyberspace. There is war in the US Government between the State
> Department and other departments, too. You are participants in this war.
>
> Catherine A. Fitzpatrick
> 3dblogger.typepad.com/wired_state
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> liberationtech mailing list
> liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu
>
> Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:
>
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
>
> If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click
> above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily
> digest?"
>
> You will need the user name and password you receive from the list
> moderator in monthly reminders. You may ask for a reminder here:
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
>
> Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.
>
> Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech
>



-- 
*Collin David Anderson*
averysmallbird.com | @cda | Washington, D.C.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/attachments/20120426/667b6d0f/attachment.html>


More information about the liberationtech mailing list