Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[liberationtech] Call for Open Letter on Skype

Alfredo Lopez alfredo at mayfirst.org
Sat Dec 22 12:31:05 PST 2012


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 12/22/2012 02:02 PM, Uncle Zzzen wrote:
> +1 Best case scenario they still won't be open source, so what do
> we expect from them really, good intentions?
> 

You don't expect anything from Skype but such a letter would be a tool
toward raising consciousness among all kinds of organizations and
movements -- e.g. movements of people of color in the U.S. -- who
depend on Skype as a primary tool for conducting organizing and
political work. In fact, not only do the leaders of many of these
organizations use Skype, they would choose it over any FOSS alternative.

Letters like this may seem a waste of time because the company's not
listening but I think it's important to let people who use this thing
know what perspectives and attitudes drive its development.

May First/People Link would unquestionably be interested in signing on.

Abrazos,

Alfredo

> 
> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org>
> wrote:
> 
>> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:23:30PM +0200, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
>>> Isn't it time for an open letter regarding Skype?
>> 
>> No.
>> 
>> Not that I disagree with your concerns or anything like that: 
>> they're valid.
>> 
>> But because there is absolutely no reason to expect truthful and
>> complete answers from Skype.
>> 
>> In fact, there are many reasons to expect lies and incomplete
>> answers, because it's clearly in their self-interest to provide
>> them and because there are no negative consequences for them if
>> they do.
>> 
>> Thus no matter how well-phrased and well-intentioned such a
>> letter is, the best possible result (a response from Skype) is
>> still operationally useless, no matter what it says.
>> 
>> ---rsk -- Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password at: 
>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
>> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password at:
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech


- -- 
Co-Chair, Leadership Committee
May First/People Link
https://mayfirst.org

My Blog
http://www.alfredolopez.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=/6+J
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



More information about the liberationtech mailing list