Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[liberationtech] Silent Circle to publish source code?

Ryan Gallagher ryan at rjgallagher.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 15:48:56 PDT 2012


> On 10/11/2012 18:26 PM, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
> I sincerely apologize if my post is jumping the gun a bit, but aside
> from reassurances in private press conferences, Silent Circle hasn't
> made any statement that supports their releasing their code as open
> source. In fact, they have been very ambiguous on this issue prior to
> their alleged private statements yesterday and today.

Hmm. It says on the SC website that it will use "Open Source Peer-Reviewed Encryption," "Peer Reviewed Encryption and Hashing Algorithms," and also says "we believe in open source." Is that very ambiguous?

> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 18:26:28 -0400
> From: nadim at nadim.cc
> To: liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu
> Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Silent Circle to publish source code?
> 
> On 10/11/2012 5:51 PM, Ryan Gallagher wrote:
> > To Nadim: I'm interested to know, did you contact anyone at SC before
> > writing your blog post? Seems to me you arrived at your rather scathing
> > conclusion largely on the basis of an assumption. A sort of shoot first,
> > ask questions later approach. It actually says on the SC website that SC
> > will use "Open Source Peer-Reviewed Encryption." It also says,
> > unambiguously, "/We believe in open source/."
> 
> It's almost impossible to develop the software Silent Circle is
> attempting to develop without using at least one open source library -
> this is in fact accentuated in my blog post.
> I sincerely apologize if my post is jumping the gun a bit, but aside
> from reassurances in private press conferences, Silent Circle hasn't
> made any statement that supports their releasing their code as open
> source. In fact, they have been very ambiguous on this issue prior to
> their alleged private statements yesterday and today.
> 
> I will update my blog post the moment they announce that Silent Circle
> will be open source. I don't mean to "shoot first, ask questions later,"
> but rather highlight serious potential dangers.
> 
> 
> > 
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> From: companys at stanford.edu
> >> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:48:03 -0700
> >> To: liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu
> >> Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Silent Circle to publish source code?
> >>
> >> We both received the same messages from Ryan Gallagher and Dan Gillmor:
> >>
> >> @rj_gallagher: @kaepora FYI I met with SC's CEO today for piece I'm
> >> doing + he told me they'll be making everything open source.
> >>
> >> That's why I added the question mark, in case someone on the list knew
> >> anymore (for example, when -- what date? -- do they plan to publish
> >> the code).
> >>
> >> I've contacted @Silent_Circle via Twitter and invited them on to
> >> Liberationtech. If anyone knows how to reach someone on the team
> >> directly, please let me know.
> >>
> >> It'd be nice to send them a personal invitation, so we can talk to the
> >> team directly rather than have a secondhand conversation.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Yosem
> >>
> >> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Nadim Kobeissi <nadim at nadim.cc> wrote:
> >> > It would have been much nicer to create this thread based on real source
> >> > code, instead of a tweet based on word of mouth. We'll see.
> >> >
> >> > NK
> >> >
> >> > On 10/11/2012 3:27 PM, Yosem Companys wrote:
> >> >> Dan Gillmor @dangillmor: @kaepora Phil Zimmerman told me yesterday
> >> >> that Silent Circle (contrary to what you say in your post) will
> >> >> publish source code.
> >> >> --
> >> >> Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password at:
> > https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
> >> >>
> >> > --
> >> > Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password at:
> > https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
> >> --
> >> Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password at:
> > https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
> > 
> > 
> > --
> > Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password at: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
> > 
> --
> Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password at: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech
 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/attachments/20121011/cf9e046a/attachment.html>


More information about the liberationtech mailing list