Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] PRISM: NSA/FBI Internet data mining project
eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 7 05:16:07 PDT 2013
----- Forwarded message from Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> -----
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 20:28:18 -0500
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org>
To: jim deleskie <deleskie at gmail.com>
Cc: goemon at anime.net, NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: Re: PRISM: NSA/FBI Internet data mining project
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.1508)
On Jun 6, 2013, at 8:06 PM, jim deleskie <deleskie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Knowing its going on, knowing nothing online is secret != OK with it, it
> mealy understand the way things are.
While there's a whole political aspect of electing people who pass better laws, NANOG is not a political action forum.
However many of the people on NANOG are in positions to affect positive change at their respective employers.
- Implement HTTPS for all services.
- Implement PGP for e-mail.
- Implement S/MIME for e-mail.
- Build cloud services that encrypt on the client machine, using a key that is only kept on the client machine.
- Create better UI frameworks for managing keys and identities.
- Align data retention policies with the law.
- Scrutinize and reject defective government legal requests.
- When allowed by law, charge law enforcement for access to data.
- Lobby for more sane laws applied to your area of business.
The high tech industry has often made the government's job easy, not by intention but by laziness. Keeping your customer's data secure should be a proud marketing point.
Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org - CCIE 3440
PGP keys at http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/
----- End forwarded message -----
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a> http://leitl.org
ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820 http://ativel.com http://postbiota.org
AC894EC5: 38A5 5F46 A4FF 59B8 336B 47EE F46E 3489 AC89 4EC5
More information about the liberationtech