Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[liberationtech] Meet the 'cowboy' in charge of the NSA

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Mon Sep 9 11:55:50 PDT 2013


I suggest your use of the net is well outside the mainstream, even amongst security folks. Some of us actually use social networking, for example, or don't want ugly, half broken websites simply because we fear a JavaScript zero day. 

Al 

-- 
Al Billings
http://makehacklearn.org


On Monday, September 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Shelley wrote:

> >>Like it or not, to fully use websites at this point, you generally need things like Javascript and CSS.
> 
> I disagree.  Not only do I want the protection from .js vulnerabilites and tracking when I browse, I just want the text.  Not a bunch of useless social media buttons and blinking ads.  I block it all and very rarely make an exception, and I don't at all mind that I'm getting a bland page with not much more than text.  I prefer it.
> 
> >>The reason that most folks, even security folks like the ones I work with, don't run with NoScript on all the time is that it breaks the net as experienced.
> 
> Most of my fellow security-conscious friends and colleagues block scripts by default as well.  Breaking things to make them work the way we want them to is what we do; this is no different.
> 
> -Shelley
> 
> 
> ----
> On Sep 9, 2013 9:50 AM, Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote: 
> 
> Have fun tilting that windmill, Mr. Quixote.  
> 
> Like it or not, to fully use websites at this point, you generally need things like Javascript and CSS. The reason that most folks, even security folks like the ones I work with, don't run with NoScript on all the time is that it breaks the net as experienced. 
> 
> -- 
> Al Billings
> http://www.openbuddha.com
> http://makehacklearn.org
> 
> 
> On Monday, September 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Leif Ryge wrote:
> 
> > Ok, well as long as we're talking about that FP javascript overlay: if you saw
> > it, that means you run JavaScript by default, which means you're vulnerable to
> > a larger number of the arbitrary-code-execution bugs in your web browser (of
> > which there are undoubtedly many more which are not yet fixed, given the
> > frequency with which new ones are discovered [1,2]). In my opinion, if you're
> > using Firefox, you should really be using NoScript. [3]
> > 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google. Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech. Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys at stanford.edu.
> 
> 


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/attachments/20130909/dfb68a98/attachment.html>


More information about the liberationtech mailing list