Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[liberationtech] Meet the 'cowboy' in charge of the NSA

Shava Nerad shava23 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:52:37 PDT 2013


I clicked, I got the article no problem,

I read the article and enjoyed it with the sick fascination we tend to read
these things.  Odd to think of FP as sort of tabloid celebrity profile of
the monsters of the field, eh? ;)

I reposted it on G+ with the comment:

===

*Foreign Policy frames NSA's Alexander*
*like a rhinocerous beetle pinned as a specimen*

Not a pretty picture, but a curious and powerful one.

===

I don't block javascript and such, partly because I also work in marketing
and social media and such (THE DARK SIDE, the hell with hacking! :)   -- I
need to watch things.

I regularly sweep for malware when idle and pray a lot. :)

will comment further when I'm not fighting health system bureaucracy,
perhaps...:)  Tilting at different windmills for a bit.  Check my G+ for
updates.

yrs,


On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Shelley <shelley at misanthropia.info> wrote:

> It may be outside the mainstream, but so is our interest in-- and
> understanding of-- security and privacy issues.  Judging by the millions
> who download these tools, I am not alone in wanting to block scripts and
> tracking.
>
> I'll save my "security researchers using social media (outside of
> pentesting) makes no sense" rant for another time.
>
>
>
> ----
>
> ------------------------------
> On Sep 9, 2013 11:56 AM, Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:
>
>  I suggest your use of the net is well outside the mainstream, even
> amongst security folks. Some of us actually use social networking, for
> example, or don't want ugly, half broken websites simply because we fear a
> JavaScript zero day.
>
> Al
>
> --
> Al Billings
> http://makehacklearn.org
>
> On Monday, September 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Shelley wrote:
>
> >>Like it or not, to fully use websites at this point, you generally need
> things like Javascript and CSS.
>
> I disagree.  Not only do I want the protection from .js vulnerabilites and
> tracking when I browse, I just want the text.  Not a bunch of useless
> social media buttons and blinking ads.  I block it all and very rarely make
> an exception, and I don't at all mind that I'm getting a bland page with
> not much more than text.  I prefer it.
>
> >>The reason that most folks, even security folks like the ones I work
> with, don't run with NoScript on all the time is that it breaks the net as
> experienced.
>
> Most of my fellow security-conscious friends and colleagues block scripts
> by default as well.  Breaking things to make them work the way we want them
> to is what we do; this is no different.
>
> -Shelley
>
>
> ----
> On Sep 9, 2013 9:50 AM, Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:
>
>  Have fun tilting that windmill, Mr. Quixote.
>
> Like it or not, to fully use websites at this point, you generally need
> things like Javascript and CSS. The reason that most folks, even security
> folks like the ones I work with, don't run with NoScript on all the time is
> that it breaks the net as experienced.
>
> --
> Al Billings
> http://www.openbuddha.com
> http://makehacklearn.org
>
> On Monday, September 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Leif Ryge wrote:
>
> Ok, well as long as we're talking about that FP javascript overlay: if you
> saw
> it, that means you run JavaScript by default, which means you're
> vulnerable to
> a larger number of the arbitrary-code-execution bugs in your web browser
> (of
> which there are undoubtedly many more which are not yet fixed, given the
> frequency with which new ones are discovered [1,2]). In my opinion, if
> you're
> using Firefox, you should really be using NoScript. [3]
>
>
>  --
> Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
> Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated:
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech.
> Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at
> companys at stanford.edu.
>
>
>
> --
> Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
> Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated:
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech.
> Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at
> companys at stanford.edu.
>



-- 

Shava Nerad
shava23 at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/attachments/20130909/fe19b282/attachment.html>


More information about the liberationtech mailing list