[liberationtech] Connecting to XMPP servers over Tor hidden services

Nicholas Merrill lists at
Wed Feb 26 15:55:50 PST 2014

The Calyx Institute has been doing some work promoting adding Tor hidden
service protocol to XMPP servers, to improve security, privacy and

Along those lines, I wanted to send a quick update:

1) There is now a list of XMPP servers that are reachable via Tor hidden
services at this URL:

2) Also,'s server scanner now works with servers that are
reachable via .onion addresses
Here is an example:

Unfortunately it's still not that easy for average Internet users to
connect to services ( other than websites ) over Tor, but we will be
releasing some how-to documentation shortly.  I'll report back when
that's ready for peer review.

Nicholas Merrill
Executive Director
The Calyx Institute