Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] Nitrokey Storage: USB Security Key for Encryption, Open Hardware
jan at nitrokey.com
Thu Nov 19 13:06:01 PST 2015
Nitrokey Storage is a USB device which operates as a “digital latchkey”
to protect your data and user accounts. It allows for the secure
encryption of emails, files and hard drives, secure login on the web and
contains encrypted mass storage. The encryption keys are stored securely
in the hardware at all times.
Our crowdfunding campaign for the new Nitrokey Storage just started and
needs your support: http://igg.me/at/nitrokey
Nitrokey is made entirely in Germany and stands out on the market
because it is 100% open-source and uses 100% open hardware, which in the
times of NSA, hacker attacks and Trojans is the only option that allows
users to keep control of their data and to rule out dangerous backdoors.
It is also the first hardware worldwide with hidden storage, which
enables users to plausibly deny the existence of additional encrypted
data. This can be useful during border controls or similar threatening
# Use Cases #
* Encryption of emails, hard drives, and other data via a highly secure
smart card. Secure keys are protected by the hardware.
* Secure login on the web and protection against identity theft via
* Secure transport and exchange of sensitive files via encrypted mass
storage (up to 64 GB).
* The first hardware worldwide with hidden storage, which allows users
to plausibly deny the existence of encrypted data (e.g. during border
* 100% open-source and open hardware. No backdoors for intelligence
Please support and promote the crowdfunding campaign:
# Other Existing Products #
First Nitrokey products were launched in September 2015 and have garnered
very positive feedback:
* Nitrokey Pro and Nitrokey Start are suitable for the secure encryption
of emails, files and hard disks, as well as for secure login on the web,
in network services and on local computers.
* Nitrokey U2F supports Google's new and very easy-to-use login
mechanism FIDO Universal 2nd Factor, which should prove to be highly
* Nitrokey HSM addresses the providers of security servers, as well as
businesses that wish to operate their own PKI.
More information about the liberationtech