Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] Job Opportunity: Security-focused web developer for human rights NGO
lists at calyx.com
Tue Sep 22 11:29:17 PDT 2015
Position Description: Security-focused Web Developer
Access (accessnow.org) is a growing organization dedicated to defending
and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world,
including on issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and
transparency. Our policy, advocacy, and technology teams have staff
presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa, North
America, and Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
*About the Role:*
We’re looking for a passionate Web Developer to join our Advocacy team.
This crucial role will help us develop groundbreaking digital campaigns,
maintain and extend our brand-new website and digital engagement
back-end, and build out a suite of innovative tools to help us use
advocacy and communications to defend and extend the rights of internet
users around the world.
We’re looking for a creative individual who’s up-to-date with the latest
web technologies and platforms, and is able to help develop our
multifaceted media platforms, websites, infographics and social media
memes, and to use these to engage online communities and advance the
fight to defend digital rights worldwide.
The Web Developer will join the Digital Engagement Squad, a team within
the Advocacy arm.
*Duties and Responsibilities:*
* Working within the Digital Engagement Squad, develop websites and
digital properties to further the goals of our Policy, Advocacy, and
* Working closely with the Tech team, manage Access websites
(including www.accessnow.org) and web properties, coordinating the
development of new sites and the maintenance of existing sites;
* Work with the Visual Advocate and other members of the Advocacy team
to build and deploy standalone websites and other digital and
* Actively pursue new technologies and think creatively about how to
adopt, extend and modify them for use in our projects, programs and
the larger digital security and digital rights sphere;
* Develop reusable web functionalities and tools for Access web assets;
* Engage and support other members of the Access team as it relates to
the development of web properties and the use of Access web assets;
* Report to Advocacy Director on progress and challenges of
responsibilities as required.
*Education and Experience:*
* Deep knowledge and experience of web application security
* A minimum of two years experience in Web development;
* Wordpress experience essential; other CMS experience (Drupal,
Symfony etc.) a plus;
* Previous design experience and/or demonstrable design skills desired;
* Experience using Github or other revision control systems to
collaboratively develop and manage websites and digital assets.
*Required Personal Qualities:*
* Must be able to meet tight deadlines and manage the multiple moving
parts of complex projects.
* Energetic, creative and confident.
* Must be able to work in a high stress emergency environment that
requires sustained focus; have an appetite for responsibility and
perform careful, diligent work.
* Must be able to work unsupervised.
* Keep technical knowledge and skills up to date, and be willing to
attend trainings and conferences as required by Access.
*Language Skills: *Fluency in English essential. Ability to also speak
fluently in Arabic, Spanish, or French, would be good but not required.
*Location:* We strongly prefer for this to be based out of our New York
(USA) office, or elsewhere on Eastern (EST) time. However we work
globally, and qualified applicants will also be considered from around
*Remuneration:* Based on experience.
*To Apply:* Please write to jobs at accessnow.org with “Frontend Web
Developer-- [Your Name]” as the subject line and submit the following,
saved as one PDF document:
* Cover letter expressing your interest in the position and why you
are the best candidate for it.
* Resume including portfolio and/or work samples.
* 2 references.
*Deadline:* Published September 2015, applications rolling until filled.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the liberationtech