Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] Surveillance Capitalism
companys at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 5 11:39:55 PST 2016
From: Rich Metson <rich at semaeopus.com>
I'm not a particularly academic mind so apologies if this is mis-posted, or
if I have missed the point, but I thought this recent article by Shoshana
Zuboff was fascinating and might also be to you good folks:
I particularly appreciated the abstract but actionable steps 3/4 of the way
through the piece, and see them a little bit like a 'How to hack
"We need new interventions that interrupt, outlaw, or regulate
1) the initial capture of behavioral surplus,
2) the use of behavioral surplus as free raw material,
3) excessive and exclusive concentrations of the new means of production,
4) the manufacture of prediction products,
5) the sale of prediction products,
6) the use of prediction products for third-order operations of
modification, influence, and control, and
7) the monetization of the results of these operations.
This is necessary for society, for people, for the future, and it is also
necessary to restore the healthy evolution of capitalism itself."
...as a videogame developer I suppose I would enjoy bite-sized and
actionable challenges within a larger complex system, but I figure this is
probably inherent in the processes of a lot of people on this list! I hope
you enjoy too.
Oh, and Shoshana, if you are on here, great article!
*Rich Metson* - @richmetson <http://www.twitter.com/richmetson>
Designer . Developer . Director . Co-founder
Semaeopus Ltd. <http://semaeopus.com/> - OffGridthegame.com
<http://www.offgridthegame.com> - @OffGridthegame
PGP Fingerprint: B2FF 7339 CD04 3069 6F56 BCF8 34C7 FA40 0964 BCAE
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the liberationtech