Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] [AI] [researches] Asilomar AI Principles
cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 21:30:56 PST 2017
Hi, dear all! :D
Already signed it yesterday, and I'm inviting you to read and consider
signing the Asilomar AI Principles.
Take care! <3
ASILOMAR AI PRINCIPLES
Artificial intelligence has already provided beneficial tools that are used
every day by people around the world. Its continued development, guided by
the following principles, will offer amazing opportunities to help and
empower people in the decades and centuries ahead.
1) *Research Goal:* The goal of AI research should be to create not
undirected intelligence, but beneficial intelligence.
2) *Research Funding:* Investments in AI should be accompanied by funding
for research on ensuring its beneficial use, including thorny questions in
computer science, economics, law, ethics, and social studies, such as:
- How can we make future AI systems highly robust, so that they do what
we want without malfunctioning or getting hacked?
- How can we grow our prosperity through automation while maintaining
people’s resources and purpose?
- How can we update our legal systems to be more fair and efficient, to
keep pace with AI, and to manage the risks associated with AI?
- What set of values should AI be aligned with, and what legal and
ethical status should it have?
3) *Science-Policy Link:* There should be constructive and healthy exchange
between AI researchers and policy-makers.
4) *Research Culture:* A culture of cooperation, trust, and transparency
should be fostered among researchers and developers of AI.
5) *Race Avoidance:* Teams developing AI systems should actively cooperate
to avoid corner-cutting on safety standards.
Ethics and Values
6) *Safety:* AI systems should be safe and secure throughout their
operational lifetime, and verifiably so where applicable and feasible.
7) *Failure Transparency:* If an AI system causes harm, it should be
possible to ascertain why.
8) *Judicial Transparency:* Any involvement by an autonomous system in
judicial decision-making should provide a satisfactory explanation
auditable by a competent human authority.
9) *Responsibility:* Designers and builders of advanced AI systems are
stakeholders in the moral implications of their use, misuse, and actions,
with a responsibility and opportunity to shape those implications.
10) *Value Alignment:* Highly autonomous AI systems should be designed so
that their goals and behaviors can be assured to align with human values
throughout their operation.
11) *Human Values:* AI systems should be designed and operated so as to be
compatible with ideals of human dignity, rights, freedoms, and cultural
12) *Personal Privacy:* People should have the right to access, manage and
control the data they generate, given AI systems’ power to analyze and
utilize that data.
13) *Liberty and Privacy:* The application of AI to personal data must not
unreasonably curtail people’s real or perceived liberty.
14) *Shared Benefit:* AI technologies should benefit and empower as many
people as possible.
15) *Shared Prosperity:* The economic prosperity created by AI should be
shared broadly, to benefit all of humanity.
16) *Human Control:* Humans should choose how and whether to delegate
decisions to AI systems, to accomplish human-chosen objectives.
17) *Non-subversion:* The power conferred by control of highly advanced AI
systems should respect and improve, rather than subvert, the social and
civic processes on which the health of society depends.
18) *AI Arms Race:* An arms race in lethal autonomous weapons should be
19) *Capability Caution:* There being no consensus, we should avoid strong
assumptions regarding upper limits on future AI capabilities.
20) *Importance:* Advanced AI could represent a profound change in the
history of life on Earth, and should be planned for and managed with
commensurate care and resources.
21) *Risks:* Risks posed by AI systems, especially catastrophic or
existential risks, must be subject to planning and mitigation efforts
commensurate with their expected impact.
22) *Recursive Self-Improvement:* AI systems designed to recursively
self-improve or self-replicate in a manner that could lead to rapidly
increasing quality or quantity must be subject to strict safety and control
23) *Common Good:* Superintelligence should only be developed in the
service of widely shared ethical ideals, and for the benefit of all
humanity rather than one state or organization.
"Don't let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or your
curiosity. It's your place in the world; it's your life. Go on and do all
you can with it, and make it the life you want to live." - Mae Jemison
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the liberationtech