Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] JOB: Senior Associate for Special Projects, Obama Foundation (NYC, DC, or Chicago)
ycompanys at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 15:39:50 PST 2018
The Obama Foundation launched this past fall with a big event in Chicago on
civic engagement. The foundation is expanding its team and seeking to hire
a Senior Associate for Special Projects, a person who will work with the
The Obama Foundation is hiring a Senior Associate for Special Projects who
will serve as a critical member of the Education team and Program team
overall. This person will report to the Director of Education, and will
play an integral role in building the strategy, systems and processes that
will allow for the delivery of digital and in-person learning experiences
that give everyday people the tools and the opportunities to get involved
in their communities. They will work collaboratively with Program team
colleagues and across the broader Foundation to guarantee strategic and
work process alignment, and help ensure that the Education team is on track
to meet its objectives in 2018 and beyond. The ideal candidate has
experience with long-term strategic planning and execution, exceptional
relationship building and communication skills, and a willingness to go
above and beyond to get the job done. A very strong commitment to the
mission and 7 years experience managing large projects is required;
management consulting or equivalent experience is a plus. The Foundation is
committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal
opportunity employer. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Full job description below.
To apply: https://boards.greenhouse.io/obamafoundation/
Senior Associate of Special Projects
WASHINGTON D.C., CHICAGO, OR NEW YORK CITY
About the Obama Foundation
Founded in January 2014, the Obama Foundation is the platform for former
President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama’s philanthropic activities
and an integral part of their voice for continued civic engagement. Its
mission is to identify, train, and connect the next generation of leaders
and engaged citizens. As President Obama said in his farewell address, "I
am asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about change — but in
yours.” That concept is a cornerstone of the Obama Foundation’s efforts to
support and develop the next generation of active citizens and emerging
leaders around the world.
The Education team is key to delivering on the Foundation’s vision, as the
national and global programming will be the primary vehicle through which
the Foundation can directly and indirectly inspire, equip, and connect
thousands if not millions of young people. For more information about the
Education team’s work and the Obama Foundation more generally, please visit
About the Role
As a member of the Education team, the Senior Associate for Special
Projects will work closely with the Director of Education to lead
the development and implementation of the partnerships, learning
experiences, and programs that will empower young people to lead change
in their communities. Working collaboratively with Program team colleagues
as well as cross functionally with departments Foundation wide (e.g.,
Digital, Public Engagement, Development, Operations), this person will play
a critical role in building the strategy, systems and processes that will
allow for the delivery of digital and in-person learning experiences that
give everyday people the tools and the opportunities to get involved in
their communities. The Senior Associate for Special Projects will report to
the Director of Education.
The Senior Associate for Special Projects will be responsible for achieving
the following outcomes within the first year:
• The Education team outcomes are set (both short-term and long-term), and
the strategy to achieve those outcomes is defined and synced with the
overall Program Team vision and outcomes.
• KPIs for the Education team are set and aligned with overall Foundation
vision and strategy.
• The Education team’s monitoring and evaluation function is developed,
functioning, and supporting an iterative program development process that
is synced with the Program team measurement and evaluation function.
• The Education team budget is developed and adhered to according to
Foundation guidelines and timelines and team spending stays within budget.
• The Director of Education is prepared for all internal and external
meetings and activities, and has a day-to-day perspective and approach to
the Education team’s priorities and needs.
• The Education team conducts regular debrief processes both internally as
well as with other teams across the organization, and has strong and
effective working relationships with teams across the organization.
• All internal Education team documents are updated and ready to be adapted
for various audiences.
The ultimate aim of the Senior Associate for Special Projects is to achieve
the outcomes listed above. In order to achieve those outcomes, we imagine
that this individual will spend his/her time in the following ways:
• In close coordination with the Director of Education, manage continued
development of Education program strategy, including long-term and
• Create communication materials for various audiences, including but not
limited to memos, powerpoint presentations, and spreadsheets
• Develop and implement monitoring, evaluation, and internal process
debrief activities; prepare data analysis for relevant audiences
• Represent the Education team on cross-departmental program strategy and
• Conduct research on civic engagement and related topics; synthesize
research to help drive Education program strategy
• Support Education team program implementation by doing whatever is
necessary. This could include but is not limited to: attending events,
meeting with partner organizations, organizing logistics, and more.
• 4-6+ years of experience managing large projects
• Experience with long-term strategic planning and execution
• Excellent relationship building skills, with an ability to build trust
with, influence, and motivate people at all levels of an organization as
well as observe and articulate team dynamics
• Strong analytic capabilities, with an eye for using data to inform
• A keen attention to detail and ability to adhere to deadlines
• Self-confidence, humility, action-orientation, trustworthiness, calm
under pressure, and deep commitment to mission and team
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
• Background in civic participation and engagement is a plus
• Willingness to go above and beyond to get done what needs to be done; a
track record of generating creative / innovative solutions to problems
• Experience thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic environment (preferred)
Please include your resume and a brief cover letter (no more than 1 page of
text) that answers the following questions by January 15th, 2017:
• Why does this position appeal to you? (E.g., What specific aspects stand
out as exciting? Why do you want to work with the Obama Foundation / on
• Why do you think you would be an excellent candidate for this position?
(E.g., In what areas do you think you would perform particularly well? What
capabilities and/or past experiences make you a strong candidate?
In your application, please indicate your current and/or preferred location
(New York, NY, Washington, DC, or Chicago, IL).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the liberationtech