Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] CfP VOX-Pol Conference on Violent Extremism, Terrorism, and the Internet
maura.conway at dcu.ie
Wed Mar 14 09:57:01 PDT 2018
We'd be very pleased to see some of you at our August conference in
*CfP VOX-POL CONFERENCE – VIOLENT EXTREMISM, TERRORISM, AND THE INTERNET:
PRESENT AND FUTURE TRENDS*
*Dates: *20 and 21 Aug. 2018 (post-conference workshops 22 Aug.)
*Location: *University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
*Final Submission Date: *Friday, 13 April
VOX-Pol’s third biennial conference will take place at the University of
Amsterdam on 20 – 21 August 2018, with post-conference workshops
place on 22 August 2018.
VOX-Pol’s inaugural two-day conference
place at King’s College London on 28 – 29 August 2014, while VOX-Pol’s
place at Dublin City University on 23 – 24 June 2016.
*CALL FOR PAPERS*
We are seeking panels and papers describing and discussing in-depth and
cutting-edge research on the intersections of violent extremism and/or
terrorism and the Internet.
Perspectives from all academic (sub-)disciplines are welcome, particularly
communications, computer science, criminology, cultural studies, data
science, ethnography, international relations, internet studies, law,
linguistics, media studies, philosophy, politics, psychology, sociology,
and terrorism studies.
The following topics are of particular interest:
- History and evolution of violent online extremism and/or terrorism and
- Online radicalisation;
- The Internet and recruitment into violent political extremist and
- Instructional (e.g. re. attack types, targeting, etc.) online content;
- Children/youth, violent political extremism or terrorism, and online
- Women/gender, violent political extremism or terrorism, and online
- Public attitudes to violent extremism and/or terrorism and the
Internet and responses to it;
- Case studies of particular (sub-)groups’ cross-platform use of the
Internet and social media;
- Case studies of the use of the Internet by violent extremists and/or
terrorists in particular countries or regions;
- Case studies of the manifestation(s) and workings of violent political
extremism or terrorism on specific online platforms, particularly
less-studied platforms (e.g. 4Chan, Internet Archive, JustPaste.It, Reddit,
- Case studies of particular online mediums or Internet-related
technologies (e.g. video, mobile telephones, etc.) and their roles in
violent online extremism;
- Methodologies, including mixed methods approaches, for violent
political extremism and terrorism-related Internet research;
- The role of online crowdsourcing in violent political extremism and
terrorism and/or countering activity;
- The role of user generated content in violent political extremism and
terrorism and/or countering activity;
- Online audience reception of violent political extremist or terrorist
- Policy/legislative and other responses to violent online political
extremism, including online CVE, takedown activity, etc.;
- Future trends in violent extremism and/or terrorism and the Internet
and/or in countering the latter, including the use of dedicated platforms
and apps, the use of messaging apps, gaming, blockchain technologies,
crypto currencies, live streaming, Darkweb, etc.
- Ethical issues surrounding online extremism-related research;
- Freedom of speech, privacy, and other concerning aspects of online
disruption and CVE activity;
- Evaluative or ‘taking stock’ analyses.
We welcome papers or panel proposals in these and all relevant areas,
particularly empirically grounded research and papers reporting significant
new results. Papers that are methodologically innovative are also
Details to be published HERE
and on Twitter via @VOX_Pol.
Authors of individual papers should submit a 300-word abstract.
Panel proposals should include a
- 200-word panel abstract, along with individual paper titles;
- Confirmed list of minimum four panelists.
Submissions are only possible via our conference EasyChair
The closing dates for receipt of submissions, is Friday 13 April.
We expect to confirm acceptances no later than Friday 11 May.
Registration will open during March 2018, and fees will be as follows:
- Standard Early Bird (to 1 June 2018): €80
- Student Early Bird (to 1 June 2018): €40
- Standard (2 June 2018 to 20 July 2018): €120
- Student (2 June 2018 to 20 July 2018): €60
Those choosing a Student rate should note that they will be required to
supply a valid full-time student ID from their institution at conference
There will be *no on-site registration*.
The conference organisers are able to provide a limited number of travel
grants for PhD students, early-career researchers (within two years of
graduation, maximum), end-users, and colleagues from the developing world.
Support may be requested towards the cost of registration fees,
transportation, and accommodation. Travel awards will be assessed, based on
individual need, estimated cost of participation, and overall demand for
funding. Reimbursement can only be processed subsequent to travel, via
electronic funds transfer, upon receipt of original receipts, boarding
passes, proof of participation, etc. Further details regarding the
application and reimbursement process will be provided when decisions are
made on selected papers. When you register for the event, you will have the
option to apply for a travel grant.
Please visit the conference page on our website
<http://www.voxpol.eu/events/vox-pol-third-biennial-conference/> or, for
specific conference-related queries not addressed on the latter, email us
at conference at voxpol.eu.
*Prof. Maura Conway*
School of Law and Government
Dublin City University
Tel. +353 1 700 6472
E-Mail. maura.conway at dcu.ie
VOX-Pol Project on Violent Online Political Extremism
*Séanadh Ríomhphoist/Email DisclaimerTá an ríomhphost seo agus aon chomhad a sheoltar leis faoi rún agus is lena úsáid ag an seolaí agus sin amháin é. Is féidir tuilleadh a léamh anseo. <https://www4.dcu.ie/iss/seanadh-riomhphoist.shtml>This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for use by the addressee. Read more here. <https://www4.dcu.ie/iss/email-disclaimer.shtml>*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the liberationtech