Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[liberationtech] 3-Week Extension | Re: Call on Department of Interior's Proposed Destruction of Records - Mon October 22, 2018 @ 2 PM EDT

Yosem Companys companys at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 24 13:51:54 PDT 2018


From: Russ Kick <russkick at gmail.com>

Regarding the ICE documents on detainees, the last update I got was via
email from Margaret Hawkins at NARA on June 3 (and 3 weeks later there was
a blog posting from David Ferriero). I wrote these up here:
http://thememoryhole2.org/blog/ice-document-destruction

Of course, this highlights one of the problems with this system: lack of
transparency. There's no way to automatically see where any given schedule
is in the process. And public comments aren't posted so must be FOIA'd. And
the proposed schedules never get posted..... [Climbing off my soapbox now.]


-- 

*Please support my fight against secrecy: altgov2.org/donate
<http://www.altgov2.org/donate>*

Russ Kick
http://www.russkick.com/
http://www.altgov2.org/
http://www.thememoryhole2.org/


On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:21 PM Lee White <lwhite at historycoalition.org>
wrote:

> Since I have everyone on an email chain, does anyone have an update on the
> disposition of the ICE records? When we met with the Archivist at our last
> meeting he said NARA was negotiating the issue and a new public comment
> period would be announced. I asked that this be put on the agenda for our
> next meeting.
>
> --
> Lee White
> Executive Director
> National Coalition for History
> 202-544-2422 x-116
>
>
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 3:01 PM Patrice McDermott <
> pmcdermott at govinfowatch.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, James.   NARA has confirmed a 3-week extension (until 23 Nov) on
>> comments (just late yesterday).  So, Emily Manna/Samantha Feinstein will be
>> pulling something together for the openness and transparency folks.
>>
>>
>>
>> I encourage the CSS folks, and Fed Data folks, and envir’l folks – and
>> FOIA folks! – to start working on drafting your comments – and, of course,
>> to circulate them to your communities for sign-on.
>>
>>
>>
>> Russ Kick has been doing a deep dive and will be sending something around
>> soon.  I will recirculate to the listservs here (as he is not on most of
>> them).
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks, again, James!
>>
>>
>>
>> The current relevant docs are here
>> https://altgov2.org/doi-records-destruction/
>>
>>
>>
>> Patrice
>>
>>
>>
>> Government Information Watch <https://govinfowatch.net/>
>>
>> pmcdermott at govinfowatch.net
>>
>> @GovInfoWatch
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* Mr. James R. (Librarian) Jacobs [mailto:jrjacobs at stanford.edu]
>> *Sent:* Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:12 PM
>> *To:* Patrice McDermott
>> *Cc:* FOI-L at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU; feddatawatch at googlegroups.com; Coalition
>> for Sensible Safeguards (goodregs); Samantha Feinstein;
>> transparency-roundtable at googlegroups.com;
>> openthegov-partners at googlegroups.com
>> *Subject:* Re: Call on Department of Interior's Proposed Destruction of
>> Records - Mon October 22, 2018 @ 2 PM EDT
>>
>>
>>
>> Hi Patrice. I’m getting the word out to library- and transparency groups.
>> Is there an open public letter onto which people could sign?
>>
>>
>>
>> Best
>>
>>
>>
>> James Jacobs
>>
>> ... . -. - ..-. .-. --- -- -- -.-- - . .-.. . --. .-. .- .--. ....
>>
>>
>> On Oct 22, 2018, at 11:43 AM, Patrice McDermott <
>> pmcdermott at govinfowatch.net> wrote:
>>
>> Before the call, be sure to read NARA’s appraisal memo
>> https://altgov2.org/wp-content/uploads/DAA-0048-2015-0003_Appraisal_Memo.pdf
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> It is NOT the final word, but it may help inform the discussion – and
>> comments.
>>
>>
>>
>> Patrice
>>
>>
>>
>> Government Information Watch <https://govinfowatch.net/>
>>
>> pmcdermott at govinfowatch.net
>>
>> @GovInfoWatch
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* feddatawatch at googlegroups.com [
>> mailto:feddatawatch at googlegroups.com <feddatawatch at googlegroups.com>] *On
>> Behalf Of *Patrice McDermott
>> *Sent:* Monday, October 22, 2018 11:30 AM
>> *To:* Anne Polansky; 'FOI-L at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU';
>> feddatawatch at googlegroups.com; Coalition for Sensible Safeguards
>> (goodregs); Samantha Feinstein
>> *Subject:* RE: Call on Department of Interior's Proposed Destruction of
>> Records - Mon October 22, 2018 @ 2 PM EDT
>>
>>
>>
>> Yes, that is Russ Kick’s site & is definitely credible, etc.  Russ has
>> made it easier for folks to find these requests to NARA from agencies.
>> NARA is working on a way to do that but is not there yet.  The closed cases
>> site is not it, of course, as it only shows the ones on which final
>> decisions have been made.  One can also just set up an alert from the Fed
>> Reg, but Russ’s site is centralized.
>>
>>
>>
>> I urge folks to look at Russ’s site.  The request is very extensive.
>>
>>
>>
>> Patrice
>>
>>
>>
>> Government Information Watch <https://govinfowatch.net/>
>>
>> pmcdermott at govinfowatch.net
>>
>> @GovInfoWatch
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* Anne Polansky [mailto:AnneP at whistleblower.org
>> <AnneP at whistleblower.org>]
>> *Sent:* Monday, October 22, 2018 11:23 AM
>> *To:* Patrice McDermott; 'FOI-L at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU';
>> feddatawatch at googlegroups.com; Coalition for Sensible Safeguards
>> (goodregs); Samantha Feinstein
>> *Subject:* Re: Call on Department of Interior's Proposed Destruction of
>> Records - Mon October 22, 2018 @ 2 PM EDT
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Hello all, looking forward to our call this afternoon!
>>
>>
>>
>> Don't know if you all have seen this -- I found an "alt" site - looks to
>> be credible and legit - detailed and informative.
>>
>>
>>
>> https://altgov2.org/doi-records-destruction/
>>
>>
>>
>> And, this web page from the National Archives is a useful reference as
>> well - perhaps the archivist-types in this group are familiar but this is a
>> new info source to me.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> https://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/resources/unauthorizeddispositionclosedcases
>>
>> Unauthorized Dispositions Closed Cases | National Archives
>> <https://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/resources/unauthorizeddispositionclosedcases>
>>
>> www.archives.gov
>>
>> Under 44 USC 3106 and 36 CFR Part 1230, "Unlawful or Accidental
>> Removal, Defacing, Alteration, or Destruction of Records," Federal agencies
>> are required to "notify the Archivist of any actual, impending, or
>> threatened unlawful removal, defacing, alteration, corruption, deletion,
>> erasure, or other destruction of records in the custody of the agency."
>> NARA also receives
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> *From:* Patrice McDermott <pmcdermott at govinfowatch.net>
>>
>>
>>
>> Reminder of call today (and first notification for FOI list folks –
>> sorry).
>>
>>
>>
>> Patrice
>>
>>
>>
>> Government Information Watch <https://govinfowatch.net/>
>>
>> pmcdermott at govinfowatch.net
>>
>> @GovInfoWatch
>>
>>
>>
>> October 22, 2018 @ 2 PM EDT Call on Department of Interior's Proposed
>> Destruction of Records
>>
>>
>>
>> The DOI is asking for permission to destroy records about oil and gas
>> leases, mining, dams, wells, timber sales, marine conservation, fishing,
>> endangered species, non-endangered species, critical habitats, land
>> acquisition, and lots more.  See further highlighted info in the note from
>> Russ Kick below.
>>
>>
>>
>> October 29 is the deadline to comment. During this call organizations can
>> share their proposed action plan and ideas for collaborative action.
>>
>>
>>
>> Call-in details included:
>>
>> https://goo.gl/forms/lvJAAhOcZFsmU5zg2
>>
>>
>>
>> Please RSVP <https://goo.gl/forms/lvJAAhOcZFsmU5zg2> and share with
>> other orgs/groups that might be interested.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* Samantha Feinstein
>>
>>
>>
>> Good Morning,
>>
>>
>>
>> This is a friendly reminder about today’s call at 2:00 for those of you
>> who interested in discussing the Department of Interior's proposed
>> destruction of records.
>>
>>
>>
>> Please RSVP here if you plan to participate:
>>
>> https://goo.gl/forms/LDQdJV85Lt9ZU0Nh2
>>
>>
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Samantha
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> *Samantha Feinstein *
>> *Senior Legal and International Analyst *Government Accountability
>> Project
>> 1612 K St., NW, Suite 1100
>> Washington, DC 20006
>> Phone: 202-457-0034 x 162
>> E-mail: SamanthaF at whistleblower.org
>> Website: http://www.whistleblower.org
>>
>> Skype: SamanthaF at whistleblower.org
>>
>> *Government Accountability Project is the nation’s leading whistleblower
>> protection organization. Through litigating whistleblower cases,
>> publicizing concerns and developing legal reforms, Government
>> Accountability Project’s mission is to protect the public interest by
>> promoting government and corporate accountability. Founded in 1977,
>> Government Accountability Project is a non-profit, non-partisan advocacy
>> organization located in Washington, D.C.*
>>
>>
>>
>> *NOTICE:* *This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by
>> the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do
>> not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
>> related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
>> disseminating, or otherwise using it. This communication may contain
>> privileged or other confidential information. If you believe you have
>> received this communication in error, please delete it immediately and do
>> not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use this
>> information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received
>> this communication in error.*
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* Samantha Feinstein
>>
>>
>>
>> October 22, 2018 @ 2 PM EDT Call on Department of Interior's Proposed
>> Destruction of Records
>>
>>
>>
>> The DOI is asking for permission to destroy records about oil and gas
>> leases, mining, dams, wells, timber sales, marine conservation, fishing,
>> endangered species, non-endangered species, critical habitats, land
>> acquisition, and lots more.  See further highlighted info in the note from
>> Russ Kick below.
>>
>>
>>
>> October 29 is the deadline to comment. During this call organizations can
>> share their proposed action plan and ideas for collaborative action.
>>
>>
>>
>> Call-in details included:
>>
>> https://goo.gl/forms/lvJAAhOcZFsmU5zg2
>>
>>
>>
>> Please RSVP <https://goo.gl/forms/lvJAAhOcZFsmU5zg2> and share with
>> other orgs/groups that might be interested.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> *Samantha Feinstein *
>> *Senior Legal and International Analyst *Government Accountability
>> Project
>> 1612 K St., NW, Suite 1100
>> Washington, DC 20006
>> Phone: 202-457-0034 x 162
>> E-mail: SamanthaF at whistleblower.org
>> Website: http://www.whistleblower.org
>>
>> Skype: SamanthaF at whistleblower.org
>>
>> *Government Accountability Project is the nation’s leading whistleblower
>> protection organization. Through litigating whistleblower cases,
>> publicizing concerns and developing legal reforms, Government
>> Accountability Project’s mission is to protect the public interest by
>> promoting government and corporate accountability. Founded in 1977,
>> Government Accountability Project is a non-profit, non-partisan advocacy
>> organization located in Washington, D.C.*
>>
>>
>>
>> *NOTICE:* *This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by
>> the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do
>> not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
>> related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
>> disseminating, or otherwise using it. This communication may contain
>> privileged or other confidential information. If you believe you have
>> received this communication in error, please delete it immediately and do
>> not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use this
>> information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received
>> this communication in error.*
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> *From:* Russ Kick
>>
>>
>>
>> As I mentioned a while back, I've started a new project to bring
>> much-needed transparency to the process whereby agencies get permission to
>> destroy their records at fixed intervals (chosen by the agencies and okayed
>> by the National Archives). I'm obtaining and posting every such request,
>> which have never appeared online before. This project is here:
>>
>> https://altgov2.org/records-destruction-requests/
>>
>>
>>
>> Today I want to specifically highlight a massive request from the
>> Department of the Interior to schedule records destruction across *all *of
>> its agencies.
>>
>>
>>
>> It's asking for permission to destroy records about oil and gas leases,
>> mining, dams, wells, timber sales, marine conservation, fishing, endangered
>> species, non-endangered species, critical habitats, land acquisition, and
>> lots more. It's also wanting to permanently retain a smaller subset of
>> documents in each category, which will be transferred to the National
>> Archives, where they will become harder to access via FOIA.
>>
>>
>>
>> This is crucial stuff. In the months, years, and decades ahead, if you
>> get "records destroyed" responses, or a vague "no records" response, from
>> NPS, BLM, FWS, BIA, etc., this could be the root cause.
>>
>>
>>
>> But there's time to comment. *October 29 *is the deadline I was given.
>>
>>
>>
>> Here's all the info, including a streamlined, easy-to-read HTML version
>> of Interior's extensive request:
>>
>>
>>
>> https://altgov2.org/doi-records-destruction/
>>
>>
>>
>> --Russ
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>>
>> *Please support my fight against secrecy: altgov2.org/donate
>> <http://www.altgov2.org/donate>*
>>
>>
>> Russ Kick
>> http://www.russkick.com/
>>
>> http://www.altgov2.org/
>> http://www.thememoryhole2.org/
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/attachments/20181024/a5f3058e/attachment.html>


More information about the liberationtech mailing list