Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[liberationtech] [cpsr-activists] CPSR Curriculum?

Andrés Leopoldo Pacheco Sanfuentes alps6085 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 07:25:34 PST 2019


I disagree. 

I read the ACM code in its entirety, and although very difficult to follow in the current rarefied mega-Corporate environment, it is what it should be for professionals that should be serving society first instead of profiting from it regardless of consequences.

I also commend the very participatory process the ACM went through to create it in the first place. I surely gave my input, and now I felt I was heard and represented in the end product.

Regards / Saludos / Grato

Andrés Leopoldo Pacheco Sanfuentes

> On Feb 5, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Richard Brooks <rrb at g.clemson.edu> wrote:
> 
> In my security course, I have students look at and contrast
> the ACM and IEEE codes of ethics.
> 
> To be honest the ACM code is long winded, hard to follow, and
> (in my opinion) almost impossible to follow.
> 
> It does not surprise me that it did not influence the people.
> What would surprise me is if they read the whole thing.
> 
> The IEEE code is brief and less legalistic in tone.
> 
>> On 2/4/19 2:20 PM, Aaron Massey wrote:
>> Re: seeking empirical evidence about ethics instruction
>> 
>> A recent publication at FSE attempted to evaluate the impact of the new
>> ACM code of ethics on decision-making and found no evidence of an effect
>> according to their methodology.  You can read the paper here:
>> 
>> https://people.engr.ncsu.edu/ermurph3/papers/fse18nier.pdf
>> 
>> It’s worth asking whether this is the sort of structure a study of this
>> nature should have.  For example, this study doesn’t really address many
>> (or any?) of the points Charles made earlier.
>> 
>> Best, Aaron
>> 
>> 
>>> On Mon  04 Feb 2019  07:40 AM, Charles M. Ess wrote:
>>> And thanks on both fronts!
>>> 
>>> My acknowledging that it was a critical, spot-on point was not
>>> gratuitous or merely courteous: behind it is a larger point - one that
>>> we don't always point out to our undergraduate students.  But
>>> Aristotle warned at the outset of his Nichomachean Ethics that no one
>>> under 30 should attempt it - precisely because of their comparative
>>> lack of experience as enculturated ethical beings.  (Part of this
>>> enculturation includes precisely our learning from our mistakes -
>>> phronesis as self-correcting ethical judgment.)
>>> FWIW: while I loved teaching undergraduate philosophy courses, such as
>>> ethics and logic, for example - and still think that there's value and
>>> some measure of good effect from them - having so-called
>>> "non-traditional" was always a great pleasure, precisely because they
>>> could bring their greater experience into play.  FWIW: the past couple
>>> of decades have been even better on this front as I've been privileged
>>> to work with a number of groups and communities who meet Aristotle's
>>> age requirement - and it shows up in insights, discussion, debates,
>>> dialogue, etc. that are that much richer for it.
>>> 
>>> In all events - yes, kudos and great thanks, Paul!
>>> - c.
>>> 
>>>> On 04/02/2019 05:32, Paul wrote:
>>>> Charles,
>>>>    I would like to claim partial credit for spurring your excellent
>>>> response. ;)
>>>>   Paul
>>> 
>>> -- 
>>> Professor in Media Studies
>>> Department of Media and Communication
>>> University of Oslo
>>> <http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/people/aca/charlees/index.html>
>>> 
>>> Postboks 1093
>>> Blindern 0317
>>> Oslo, Norway
>>> c.m.ess at media.uio.no
>>> -- 
>>> Liberationtech is public & archives are searchable from any major
>>> commercial search engine. Violations of list guidelines will get you
>>> moderated:
>>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech.
>>> Unsubscribe, change to digest mode, or change password by emailing
>>> liberationtech-owner at lists.stanford.edu.
>> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> ===================
> R. R. Brooks
> 
> Professor
> Holcombe Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
> Clemson University
> 
> 313-C Riggs Hall
> PO Box 340915
> Clemson, SC 29634-0915
> USA
> 
> Tel.       864-656-0920
> Fax.       864-656-5910
> Voicemail: 864-986-0813
> email:     rrb at acm.org
> web:       http://www.clemson.edu/~rrb
> PGP:       48EC1E30
> -- 
> Liberationtech is public & archives are searchable from any major commercial search engine. Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech. Unsubscribe, change to digest mode, or change password by emailing liberationtech-owner at lists.stanford.edu.


More information about the liberationtech mailing list